Thursday, November 12, 2009

Remote Controls

I reached for the remote control last night and picked up the wrong one. Have you ever noticed how many remote controls, control our lives?

We seem to have a remote control to control everything. There’s one for the TV, one for the satellite, one for the DVD player, one for the VCR (if you still have one), one for the stereo system, one for the air conditioner, one for the garage door, and such.

Some people even have remotes for their lights (especially outside lights) and some fireplace heaters now have remote controls.

It’s crazy enough trying to find the right remote when you need it. But, you also have to keep the batteries working in all the remotes.

Some use AAA and some AA batteries. That’s another thing you have to keep up and make sure you plenty on hand at all times.

When it comes to the remotes themselves have you ever noticed how small they’re making the buttons. I mean, sure, they’re more buttons on there, but they’re so small when you touch one, you’re actually touched two or three.

And don’t get me started on where they place the buttons on the remote. When you go to push the play button, it’s next to the record button. And you have to search high and low for the pause button or the stop button.

Does anyone remember the days of having to get up and physically turn the TV from one channel to the other and adjust the volume?

Don’t get me wrong, I may rant about remotes but I don’t want to give mine up. I’ve come to depend on remotes and sometimes wish I had more. I can’t image going one day without using at least one remote.

How do remote controls play a role in your daily life?

4 comments:

  1. If we can't *find* a remote....life stops in our house! :)

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know the feeling. We've been known to look all around the TV for the remote, so we can turn the volume down without ever touching the TV to do it. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting topic Mason! I totally agree with you on the size of the buttons! I mean, c'mon! And do we really NEED all those buttons? The TV and DVD ones are the worst. I don't even know what half of those buttons are for!

    And yes, I do remember life before remotes. They are convenient - that goes without saying. But one thing I don't like is that they've removed the ability to turn the television on or off, or change the channels manually - on those ocassions when you misplace the remote. My TV has NO BUTTONS. (If it did, I wonder how big they'd be?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on all the buttons. You have to keep the manual with you at all times just to remember what is what. I know bells and whistle are nice, but sometimes I just want simple and plain. I have a solar light in my yard (which is a whole different rant I won't go into) that only works with a remote. The remote is the ONLY way to turn it on. If I lose that remote, the light is worthless.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.