Saturday, March 3, 2012

Ten Healthy Teas, Ali In Wonderland


Memoirs and tea, while completely different do seem to go together. First I’ll share a delightful book on healthy teas and then a funny and very frank memoir that surprised me.

TEN HEALTHY TEAS by Valerie B. Lull

Tea bookTea is fast becoming more and more a drink people turn to when seeking healthy benefits and a refreshing taste.

TEN HEALTHY TEAS introduces readers to the amazing world of tea. The small paperback highlights 10 beneficial teas and provides a number of simple and delicious recipes using each tea blend. 

In addition, tea tips are included in almost every chapter giving further aid in preparing tea.

Historical facts, as well as medicinal information is given. Author Valerie B. Lull notes that the information isn’t intended to replace professional medical advice, but used at the reader’s discretion.

The book is designed to inspire readers to take their own journey into the wonderful world of teas by providing a glimpse at what is available.  
 
Ten Healthy Teas by Valerie B. Lull, Outskirts Press Inc., @2012, ISBN: 978-1432784935, Paperback, 52 Pages (Also available as an eBook) 

FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the author in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
ALI IN WONDERLAND by Ali Wentworth

9780062111890If you’re looking for a memoir that follows the author’s tattered life from young child to adulthood -- this isn’t the one for you.

If you’re looking for a memoir that follows the author’s life in no particular order but has you laughing out loud -- look no further, this is the one.

Ali Wentworth wasn’t a child of abuse. She was a child of divorce, but her mother Muffie has always been a pillar of strength for her. The story begins with Ali’s courtship and engagement that would have most women swooning. Her boyfriend rented a castle in Ireland to propose. But Ali knew he wasn’t her ‘Mr. Right’ and weeks later broke the engagement.

From here the story goes back and forth from Ali the adult, Ali the child, and Ali the teenager. Along the way she encounters a number of the ‘right man at the moment’ and had some interesting adventures. Coming from a family of political journalist and a mother who was the social secretary in the Reagan White House, Ali rebelled. With her unique view of the world, Ali embraced her comedic side and set out for Hollywood.

Ali shares her take on growing up among Washington’s elite to doing comedy sketches in L.A. with then-aspiring artists Will Ferrell and Lisa Kudrow. She tells how a blind date finally lead her to her ‘Mr. Right’ - political and media star George Stephanopoulos - and back to Washington as a wife and mother of 2 girls. Ali is now an acclaimed comedic actress and writer appearing in TV series and major movies such as It’s Complicated.

The journey is hilarious, off-the-wall, heart-warming, and very intimate. Ali is a lady that can make you laugh and can laugh at herself as well. She pulls no punches as she shares the good and bad of her family life. She has had her ups and downs, but has relied on a strong family gene to keep her going. 

Hearing ALI IN WONDERLAND read by the author enhanced the story that much more. Her mannerisms of the story really brings it to life. I must attempt I had no idea who Ali was before listening to her memoir, but now I’m a huge fan. This is a charming memoir that will have you crying from laughing so much.

Ali in Wonderland: And Other Tall Tales by Ali Wentworth, Read by Ali Wentworth, Harper Audio, @2012, ISBN: 978-0062111890, Unabridged, Digital Download, Listening Time 5 Hours, 10 Minutes 

FTC Full Disclosure - This audio book was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
I hope this finds everyone safe after the terrible storms yesterday and last night. Thanks so much for stopping by today.


 

8 comments:

  1. Both of these look good. I drink green tea in the cold months only, a cup in the evening. I've heard so much about the health benefits of tea, it's nice to see this book elaborating on it. And I always enjoy a well-told memoir, thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hot tea in the winter and ice tea in the summer. Sometimes I mix up my schedule.

    Ali Wentworth is hilarious. That's all I'll say. Hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both look good. People find it hard to believe that as an English person I never drank tea until I moved to California where they drank sun tea - I hated the sugary, milky stuff we had in England.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tea - especially Chai - so the first one sounds really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mason - What interesting books! Tea can be so healthful and comforting. Time to look for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife would like the tea book - she drinks hot tea all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love teas of all kinds, from ordinary black tea to sofisticated ones and like to learn about them. Thanks Mason, have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mason .. I've a friend who'd love Valerie's Tea book .. I might get it for her later on - August birthday ..

    Listening to the Ali in Wonderland book sounds a good idea .. and a fun time ..

    Your storms have been dreadful .. they keep on coming - I hope everyone stays safe too .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.