Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Historical Romance Reviews

Historical romance is not a genre I normally read, but since I have been expanding my reading selection I have two reviews to share with you today.

Both of these books have been in print before but have just been republished this month by Sourcebooks Landmark. Both books are quite lengthy, well over 500 pages each. For me they were not a quick read - it was just the length of the stories, not their content. Don’t be overwhelmed by the page count as you will quickly get lost in the plot of each book and forget how many pages there are.

LADY OF HAY by Barbara Erskine

If you’ve every had one of those moments where you think “déjà vu,” then LADY OF HAY will lead you to untold possibilities.

Joanna Clifford is hypnotized and recalls a past life. Her memories, as well as the sessions, are blocked from her mind. Years later, as a journalist doing research on regression through hypnosis Joanna goes under again and finds her past life again.

Author Barbara Erskine takes readers between the two worlds of modern 20th century London back to the 12th century Wales. Joanna finds she was Matilda, Lady of Hay, who was treated brutally by her husband, King John.

The story will grab your imagination and take you on a ride of twists and turns filled with intrigue, treachery, and lots of passion. It will keep you wondering who is good and who is bad, while also guessing who else has lived before and if true love will ever win.

Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine, Sourcebooks Landmark, @2010, ISBN: 978-1-4022-4118-5, Paperback, 592 pages

Author Barbara Erskine’s website is http://www.barbara-erskine.co.uk/


FTC Full Disclosure - I requested this book and it was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

WICKED COMPANY by Ciji Ware

WICKED COMPANY takes readers to London in the mid-18th century and then spans a 13 year period in Scotland and Boston.

The protagonist Sophie McGann has to flee London due to events caused by her bookseller father. She goes to live with relatives only to find problems there as well. Now living near the theatrical community, Sophie begins to pen plays - something that is considered scandalous and not done in her time.

Also in the story is Sophie’s long-time friend, Hunter Robertson. As the two grow older, their attraction for one another also grows. However, there are a number of hurdles they must overcome if they are to be together.

Author Ciji Ware weaves a tale of intrigue and passion filled with secrets, betrayal, and danger all set against a theatrical background. While some of the characters are fiction, the author also intertwines historical characters along the way adding to the story.

It has been said of this story, “If Shakespeare had a little sister…..”

Author Ciji Ware’s website is http://www.cijiware.com/

Wicked Company by Ciji Ware, Sourcebooks Landmark, @2010, ISBN: 978-1-4022-2271-9, Paperback, 624 pages


FTC Full Disclosure - I requested this book and it was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

13 comments:

  1. Am not a great fan of historical romances, but you make me want to go out and grab the first book.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Rayna, I don't read many historical romances. But I'm totally enchanted by the Lady of Hay cover, and your description really intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting books! And big ones, at over 500 words! They must have been really good to hold your interest for so many pages (and I know how busy you are.) Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the time travel in the first book, there's something intriguing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all, thanks for stopping by.

    Rayna and VR, I agree with both of you. I'm usually not a big fan of historical romance, but these may make me rethink that. I guess it has to do with all the suspense and intrigue in them.

    Elizabeth, you wouldn't believe my reaction when I first saw them. LOL But once I opened them open, I forgot how big they were.

    Joanne, that's one aspect of the book that pulled me in too. The author did a great job of taking you back and forth between the 800 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mason - Thanks so very much for these reviews. I don't honestly read a lot of historical romance, either. But one of the things I really, really like about your blog is that you review and talk about all kinds of books. That's good motivation for me to try new things. And these reviews are well-done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of historical romances either, but Lady of Hay sounds fascinating because of the time travel and past lives aspects. Thanks, Mason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both books sound interesting. I think Lady of Hay appeals to me more since it covers different centuries.

    Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time travel to different eras is always such a fun topic! thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not into romance, but I am into history, and I especially like when story spans over centuries.
    LADY OD HAY also has a lovely cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing like being swept away in historical romances - books or movies. I love this genre. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Lady of Hay years ago and loved it. I'll have to find my old copy and read it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mason .. I thought I'd read Lady of Hay years ago too .. but now I think I'd look at it in a new light, while Wicked Company .. looks intriguing too.

    We can learn so much from authors about the times, different professions .. as here .. theatrical and hypnotism .. let alone different eras ..

    I know I'll be reading with new eyes in future .. great read - thank you .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.