Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hallo-NaBlo-Versary



Like my new word, but wonder what in the heck it means or stands for? Well, there’s 3 parts to it.

First - Hallo. This is for Halloween. So HAPPY HALLOWEEN everyone. I know most observed the holiday yesterday but when there’s a chance to eat candy two days why waste it. I mean the candy consumed during a holiday is a tradition, a must, a ritual and therefore couldn’t possible have any calories. Could it?

I’ve noticed more and more adults getting into the spirit of Halloween. Dressing up and being a kid for a little while is good for us. Gives us a chance to re-energize and let the ‘pretend’ part of our brain remember the fun of childhood imagination again.

Second - NaBlo. I participated in the NaBloWriMo challenge for October and today is the last day. I can say that I accomplished the goal of having a blog post everyday of this month. However, I must point out that I didn’t do it all on my own. I had a number of wonderful authors who were kind enough to guest blog for me during the month. This made reaching my goal easy and I got to know these guest authors even better. Thanks ladies and gents.

Third - Versary. With yesterday’s post I reached a mark that I would have never guessed that I would have. Again, this milestone mark was accomplished with the help of authors guest blogging. I definitely didn’t do this all on my own.

Yesterday was my 365th post - a full year of posting everyday and my first complete year of blogging. Halloween of 2009 was my first post, my first dip in the waters of blogdom and all the wonder that comes with it. Now I look and over 250 amazing people follow this blog making me feel grateful, amazed and a little scared. I hope I can continue to provide posts you enjoy.

I’d like to give you a little background here for those who may not know how this blog came about. I’ll try to make it short, but you know me.

I love coffee and anything to do with it. The Coffeehouse Mystery series by Cleo Coyle has been a favorite of mine for years. Through her newsletter I was fortunate enough to win an ARC copy of HOLIDAY GRIND in 2009. At the time my book reviews only appeared in the paper I work for.

In the e-mails back and forth with Cleo, we talked about blogs and the formation of the Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen blog. Cleo encouraged me to start my own blog as another place to post my reviews. I’m technology challenged when it come to venturing into blogdom, but I thought ‘what the heck’ and posted my first entry on Oct. 31, 2009.

Then I ‘met’ another wonderful author, Elizabeth Spann Craig. With Elizabeth’s help, advice, and encouragement I ventured out into blogdom visiting other blogs. She also explained the ins and outs of having a professional account on Facebook for my blog, in addition to my personal account. She introduced me to other friends and authors and also helped when I made my way to Twitter.

These two ladies are not only great authors, but incredibly kind and wonderful people. Though I’ve only known them in blogdom, I consider them friends and feel I’ve learned so much from them.

In addition, I feel I’ve been truly blessed with all the people I’ve come to know through blogging. I’m able to talk with people all over the US and throughout the world. I’ve learned about traditions and holidays I never knew, as well as so much interesting information about writing. I’ve learned that there is more than one way to look at a book and appreciate it (thanks Margot). In addition, I’ve come to realize you should never judge a book by its cover or the genre you think it is. From each of you that I have met, I feel I have learned and continue to learn each day. The friendship and support that has been shown to me, is overwhelming.

I listen closer to the news when something happens elsewhere because now I could know someone there and am concerned for their safety and well-being. I’ve cried when reading of other bloggers’ loss whether it was their family member, precious pet or a friend of their’s. I’ve laughed at the fun others have shared. I’ve been excited and thrilled when someone finishes their WIP, gets an agent, gets a book contract, and when their first (or latest) books is finally released.

I’m in awe of the books I’ve been able to review and the ones I have waiting to be reviewed. Knowing the authors makes each book that much more special. I’ve been thrilled that I can participate in the various giveaway programs giving others the opportunity to win great books. I’ve been overwhelmed by the giveaways that I have been fortunate to win.

I could go on and on, but I won’t. Let me end by saying I feel extremely blessed, honored, and fortunate to have met some of the most wonderful people in the world through blogging.

Thanks for making this past year a wonderful learning and memorable experience. YA'LL ARE THE BEST!!!


30 comments:

  1. Mason - Happy, happy Hallo-NaBlo-versary! That is wonderful. Your blog is a wonderful addition to the blogging community, so please keep on posting! We love it! Your guest authors, reviews and commentary are something to look forward to every day, and are a big reason your blog is a must-visit for me. May you have many more posts.

    ps Thanks *blush* for mentioning my blog :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason--Congrats on the year of blogging. Hope you'll be here for many more, sharing your Thoughts in Progress. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hallo-NaBlo-versary!

    You're blog is a daily read for me and I'm so glad that I found it.

    I can't wait to see what you do in the next 365 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogversary to you! I always enjoy stopping by to see what's up on your blog. Congrats on a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much everyone for your kind words. I'll be blushing all day long. I'll say it again, ya'll are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Hallo-NaBlo-versary, Mason! I'm so glad I found your blog, and I echo what you said about your community of blogging friends. The friends I've made through blogs such as yours are as important to me as my real life friends. And it's actually kind of funny how I really spend more time with my blogging friends than most of my real friends, because I connect with them online every day!

    I'm looking forward to the next year, and many more, of your wonderful blog.

    And I LOVE your Halloween graphic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, my friend, on a year of posting--well done. I've told you this before but coming to your blog is like visiting a friend in their cozy little home for a wonderful cup of coffee and conversation.

    Happy blog anniversary. May you have many many more enjoyable posting experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! I'm almost to my one year mark, but barely over 200 posts, so 365 is amazing. Thanks again for allowing me to guest post on your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary! So glad you chose Halloween as your start date - it is my fave holiday. I love visiting your site and having you visit mine and I'm in awe of anyone who can post every day. I cannot do that - I'm a bit of a flakey blogger but I appreciate those that do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Halloween has become a much bigger holiday over the years! I hope you have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogiversary! 365 posts is quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on all the good things going on here, especially your anniversary. It's a great community out there, isn't it! Raising my coffee cup in a toast to many more blog posts ... Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats on the post-o-versary Masy :)))Not many people find the time to blog every single day like you and I, and I applaud you for being one of the number one soldiers in the blogosphere's army!

    I'll accept some Halloween candy instead of the post-o-versary cake :)) Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 365 blogs is quite a milestone. congrat! For Halloween we're going bowling. Nothing too exciting. Its a family tradition. The only night of the year I bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post - and a great way to mark your anniversary. I'm glad we've come to know each other.

    I'll go out and buy candy today. I try not to buy it too far ahead of time since there may not be any left by the time Halloween arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what an intriguing journey...and I join you in commending this wonderful community of bloggers.

    Even though I started my first blog in 2008, I didn't connect to anyone until I joined Book Blogs and Facebook. Then it all spiraled.

    Of course, I then got distracted by creating so MANY blogs! But I've whittled the numbers down a bit. Still a lot, but that's another story.

    Congrats, and enjoy this second year.

    Thanks for visiting my salon post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE your glitter graphic! And thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Halloween House post.

    I too have met some wonderful bloggers since I began in April. But you've hit a year! Congratulations!! And post every day. I haven't done that one.

    I really enjoyed reading this post about your blog journey. Your blog is one of the best, and I'm glad you're one of my blogger friends!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mason- Congrats on blogging daily! Yayness to your versary- :) I love the way you worded you title too! very creative. and you are right- why not get as much out of the holiday as we can right?

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Halloween and happy versary too! What a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great post. Congrats on all your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Blogiversary, Mason!
    Has it been just a year? I feel I have known you for much longer.
    and you are so right about richness that blogdom brings into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. An entire year!? Grats! ... candy is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Mason. Every day for a year - that's impressive! I started last spring with a modest goal of three times a week and haven't even managed that.

    But I have been blown away by the support I've received from other bloggers/writers, including yourself. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mason .. hope you had a good time .. and I love the pussy cat - he/she/it is great!!

    Oh .. NaBlo .. well done! I started blog life that way .. and kept it up (nearly) for a very long time .. then it waned!

    A full year of versary posts - amazing .. and I too never thought I'd keep going ..

    and I love your story .. great inspiration for other authors ..

    Thanks - loved the light halloween touch .. no ghouls .. and it's amazing how we can feel so close to our blogging supporters ..

    Have a great week .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  25. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Mason!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on the year, Mason! I'm toally impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Mason I am sorry I missed this. Happy belated Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sooo Cute! I love that kitty WAS the big bad wolf and now is not scary at all! Good one!


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a wonderful post, Mason. I also feel that way about the fantastic bloggers and authors I've met over the last couple of years. My world has grown so much larger and so much more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.