Saturday, September 4, 2010

Challenges, Contests, Blogfest…Oh My!

Google Image
There is always a vast array of challenges, competitions, contest, blogfest and the like offered throughout blogdom.

One such event is the Haiku Blogfest offered by Stephanie at Hatshepsut: The Writing of a Novel. It began yesterday and continues today. Be sure to check out Stephanie’s haikus, as well as the numerous other blogs that are participating.

In addition, Talli at Talli Roland is taking on Amazon. Talli is on a mission to bring at least 1,000 bloggers together for a Blogsplash. Be sure to check out her site to see what she has planned for December 1st.


Karen at Coming Down the Mountain is hosting a Big BBQ Blog Party. This is a wonderful event in which you get to meeting new people and new people get to see your blog. It's the Labor Day weekend, so it's time to party and enjoy some virtual food (you don't have to worry about calories). Be sure to drop by. 

I mention these things because of another blog I read yesterday (even though I didn’t comment, sorry). Raquel at Raquel Byrnes: Edge of Your Seat Romance wrote a post about NaNoWriMo. Since I’ve been blogging for almost a year, I’ve seen numerous mentions of this event but never really gave it much thought. The reason, I’m not an author or even an aspiring author with a WIP so a challenge for writers isn’t something I would get into much.

But yesterday I decided to read a little more and see exactly what Raquel was talking about. Many of you will know this information already so please bear with me and let me know if I get something wrong.

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and it is a challenge held by various sponsors. Participants sign up to write a novel between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30 (of the same year). This novel has to be 175 pages and 50,000 words with no editing allowed. Writers are to write by the “seat of their pants.”

Last year there were 167,150 participants and 32,178 winners in the NaNoWriMo challenge.

First of all let me say, WOW!!! Anyone who can write a novel in a month is amazing. Anyone who even attempts it, has my admiration.

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea, I’m not going to try my hand at this. I can’t image writing 175 pages. It’s hard enough for me to come up with a blog post and that is usually only two or three pages according to my Microsoft Works Word Processor program.

When I think those 175 pages have to be filled with 50,000 words, I’m in awe. That’s 285 to 286 words per page. If you wrote the phrase we had to learn in typing (way back when) “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country,” you would have to write that 3,333.3333 times. Now that’s a lot of writing.

As I mentioned earlier, there is always a wonderful challenge, competition, writing contest or blogfest going on.

One other blog to be sure to check on is Women of Mystery. These ladies are always great about announcing contest and challenges for writers.

These are only a few of the many opportunities that await the inspired writer. Wishing each and everyone much success in any of these endeavors you might undertake. I’m even going to join in on the Blogsplash Talli has planned.

That’s my rambling for today. In case I don’t get a chance to drop back in often today, just want to let y’all know - “Y’ALL ARE THE BEST!” Have a safe and wonderful Saturday.


P.S. Be sure to check the comment section for Alex's link to his TV blogfest. Blogger doesn't like me this morning or I would add it here.

20 comments:

  1. I've joined Talli's blogspash as well :) Should be awesome!

    I've done NaNo the past 2 years and it was so much fun. I don't know if I'm doing it this year though - the timing isn't great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - Thanks so much for letting us know of all of these challenges and fests. The blogosphere has lots to offer, doesn't it? It'll be really interesting to see how people are doing with these writing challenges...I look forward to reading the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Talli, too.
    I'm hosting the Top 10 TV Shows blogfest on Sept. 20. For details - http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-blogfest-and-omg-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so much to do and so little time to do it. I plan to do a few of these blog fest and I'm still debating NANOWRIMO.

    Clarissa Draper from Listen To The Voices

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attempted the NaNoWriMo Challenge last year and wrote about 30 k words, which is 30 k words more than I would have written without it. I did finish the novel in December, but am not at all sure of it, and may well sign up for the NaNoWriMo this year to re-write it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jemi, it's awesome that you've done NaNo two years in a row. I'm looking forward to Talli's blogfest too.

    Margot, I am amazed everyday at just how much is going on in blogdom. I'm wondering if there will be more or less participants this year in NaNo.

    Alex, glad you added your link. I'm looking forward to seeing your blogfest too. Your last one was great.

    Clarissa, isn't it always the way - so much to do so little time. I'll keep an eye out for the blog fest you participate in.

    Rayna, I think that is one of the great things about NaNo and the other events - they do challenge the writer to write. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lot of opportunities! I'll enjoy reading everyone's blog challenges. Wish I had the time to participate, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mason,

    Thanks for the great list. I've participated in NANO for 3 years not. It's always a challenge, but it really gets the writing juices flowing.

    I appreciate the list you compiled. I'm going to check out the others.

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the state ment with the quote and how many times someone would have to write it! LOL see you could have pulled it off...lol I love that even if you don't participate in all the events you still post them for your followers. Thanks for being an inspiration today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could not participate in NaMoWriMo either, not because I don´t write, but because November is in the middle of our autumn termn.

    Challenges are great ways to jumpstart writers, though, and after having participated in a few over the last year, I have even sold a couples of stories to American publishers (after ten dry years of rejections from Danish publishers).

    And you could say I have had my own NaMoWri-summer: today I finished the first draft of my first cozy mystery: 57.000 words in ten weeks (it is short and sketchy yet, but I wrote it down while I could remember what it was all about) :D

    The word verification is "chall" - short for challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mason .. I do so admire those who can settle for the NaMoWriMo challenge .. and wish everyone good luck!

    re Talli .. I'm in .. so let's see what happens on Dec 1st .. should be an interesting time ..

    You too have a good Labour Day Weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth, there are so many wonderful opportunities for writers in blogdom. I'll be enjoying everyone's contribution too.

    Lou, I've heard a lot of writers say that NaNo gets their creative juices flowing. I can see how. It gives you a goal and you have a lot of people doing it with you to make it fun. Best of luck if you participate this year.

    Summer, thank you for your kind words. I just enjoy passing information on to others. Have a wonderful day.

    Dorte, WOW that is great and in only 10 weeks. Wishing you much success with your cozy mystery. Looking forward to learning more about it.

    Hilary, glad to know you'll be onboard with Talli's Blogsplash. Sounds like it should be interesting and knowing Talli, completely different with lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mason, Just stopping by from KarenG's BBQ blogfest. Nice to meet you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lot of events and challenges! THanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I've joined Talli's endeavor as well. :o) I'm over from KG's BBQ. Nice to meet you! I've actually seen you name pop up around the blogospere on other blogs I follow. Nice to finally get in touch!

    PS: I got a pretty groovy contest going myself ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey- thanks for mentioning us at Women of Mystery!

    A number of us have done NaNo before- I've done it 4 or 5 times, but only won once. Got 30k a couple of times, washed out completely last year.

    I probably won't do it this year, but not because I don't think it's a fun, social, supportive kind of craziness- I do! But I actually have a couple of real projects that I'm hammering away on, and I can't divert the time if I'm not done. If they're both complete, maybe.

    But I've reached a new level (for me) of not-laziness, and writing significant amounts everyday is less of a challenge than it used to be, thank Thor's tighty-whiteys.

    NaNo rules! I've got the T-shirts and coffee mug to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ladyfi, thanks for stopping by. Always glad to pass along wonderful events.

    Brenda and Jessica, thanks for stopping by from Karen's. Nice to meet both of you. Hope you'll come back often.

    Clare2e, you ladies have some of the best contest and challenges listed. I can't image participating in NaNo. But wait, did you say you have a coffee mug from it. Now, other than books, coffee mugs and tote bags are my two favorite things to collect. Maybe I need to reconsider this. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the reminder I almost completely forgot about November!

    Alex
    Breakfast Every Hour

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've done the NaPoWriMo multiple times, but never the NaNoWriMo, maybe I will try it.

    I wonder if you're allowed to make an outline ahead of time.

    I've already written a number of novels, so it doesn't seem all that impossible.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.