Friday, September 3, 2010

Buzz Off by Hannah Reed

It’s appropriate that BUZZ OFF is being released Sept. 7 during National Honey Month as this is a honey of a tale.

Story Fischer has returned to her hometown of Moraine, Wisconsin, where she owns and operates The Wild Clover, the only grocery store in the small town. She has also taken an interest in beekeeping.

While Story is celebrating her divorce from her womanizing husband, Clay Lane, her beekeeper mentor Manny Chapman is found dead covered in bees. The authorities come for Story because she’s the only one who can remove the bees from Manny’s body.

Story realizes Manny wasn’t killed by the bees, but by yellow jackets. However, no one will listen to her, especially Police Chief Johnny Jay who has a serious dislike for her something to do with prom night. Now most of the town wants the bees destroyed, including Story’s hives.

Story’s determined to prove Manny wasn’t killed by his bees. Before she has a chance to save Manny’s bees, Story finds the body of her ex-husband’s new girlfriend dead in her kayak. Story has to find the killer before she winds up in jail and her bees are destroyed.

Author Hannah Reed has developed a cast of colorful characters to help/hinder Story in her endeavors. That includes her sister, Holly, who has too much time on her hands and talks in text.

Story is a delightful character you can’t help but love. Her knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time will keep you entertained. There’s enough action and adventure to keep you in suspense, with a hint of romance, and enough zany characters to have you laughing out loud. 


An added bonus is all of the wonderful and useful information about bees and honey author Hannah Reed has included, as well as honey-based recipes. After reading BUZZ OFF you’ll never look at a bee the same way again.

Story Fischer is one protagonist that will stick with you because she can be sweet as honey and as tenacious as her bees guarding their hive.

Hannah Reed’s website is www.queenbeemystery.com 

Hannah Reed is the pen name of author Deb Baker who can be found at www.debbakerbooks.com

Buzz Off by Hannah Reed, A Queen Bee Mystery, Berkley Prime Crime, @2010, ISBN: 978-0-425-23642-0, Paperback, 336 pages


FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the author and publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.


14 comments:

  1. It does sound like a great book, Mason. I am glad I pre-ordered it.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pre-ordered this book and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool title. I think that would be a great slogan for a door mat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason - Thanks so much for this review. I enjoy protagonists who can use their own special knowledge to solve mysteries, and this sounds like a solid example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever read a book where beekeeping played a role. I'm glad you introduced this book to me. Thanks.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rayna and Dru, I'm sure you both will love this book. It's hard to put down. There are so many wonderful characters to enjoy.

    Alex, I love the door mat theme.

    Margot, Story is a intriguing protagonist to say the least. The knowledge of bees and honey included in the book was an added bonus for me.

    Helen, I can't remember ever reading anything with bees playing a major role in the story either. Hope you enjoy it. It's a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds intriguing, but a little scary since I'm allergic to bees. Love the protag's name, though: Story Fischer - how cute is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I have already ordered this one too! Thanks for the teaser, it sure sounds as good as I am hoping! I really like the name of our amateur detective, Story Fischer--really rolls off the tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute cover!

    I like the idea of The Wild Clover; I am also writing about a small village grocery in my current manuscript; quite an important building in the place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer, it is quite interesting and intriguing.

    VR, I can see where being allergic to bees would tend to make you a little uncomfortable with a beekeeping story. But once you get into the mystery, you'll forgot about the bees (sort of).

    Julia, Story is definitely an interesting character and an ideal amateur sleuth. I believe you'll enjoy this.

    Dorte, the cover does catch the eye. A small village grocery store just fits in with a cozy mystery.

    Jemi, it is a fun read. There are scenes you can't help but laugh out loud at.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesomeness. It does sound like a honey of a tale!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure this is a good read ... but I'm totally allergic to bees. Eewww.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.