Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Salon: Private by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro

James Patterson and a co-author have a new book out every few months it seems like and you have to wonder, ‘how do they do it?’

When I had the opportunity to review his current release, PRIVATE, I couldn’t resist. I’ve never read a lot of his books, but the TV series Women’s Murder Club based on his books got me hooked.

Jack Morgan is the protagonist in this thriller set in sunny California where the rich and famous come to Private when they have secrets they want to hide or find someone else’s.

Private is an elite detective agency Jack inherited from his estranged father. Jack has built the agency into an international business that caters to the secrets of the influentional, but also helps out at the LAPD with cases from time to time.
 

There are three major cases Private is working on:
* Jack’s Uncle Fred has asked him to investigate a possible gambling scandal that could be the downfall of the NFL.
* The district attorney has asked for help in solving the school girls case in which 18 teenage girls have been abducted, killed and no evidence left.
* Jack’s best friend is suspected of killing his wife of less than a year. She was found shot to death in their bedroom. She was a former lover of Jack’s and he introduced her to his friend, Andy.

While dealing with these three major cases, Jack is also dealing with PTSD from his time in Afghanistan. In addition, he’s getting threatening calls from a mysterious caller and he helps his gambling twin brother out of a jam with the mafia.

The investigation of the three cases will take you on an exhilarating ride. The staff at Private is also a intriguing mix of characters. You’re in for a few surprises and twists along the way. While some of the plot may be considered predictable, it brings realism to this world of intrigue, glamour and glitz. I will say there were a couple of surprises at the end I didn’t see coming.

Patterson and Paetro leave the reader wanting more and from what I read last night there is a sequel coming out. What mysteries will Jack be solving this time and who's secrets will he be keeping?

Private by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro, Hachette Auto, @2010, ISBN: 9781607884484, Unabridged, 6 Discs, Approximately 7 hours


FTC Full Disclosure - I requested this audio book and it was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like an exciting read packed with lots of plot lines.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Womens' Murder Club series, so maybe I'll check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I haven't read one of his books for awhile. I'll have to add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason - Thanks so much for this review. I always think it's fascinating when writers work together on a novel. Hmm... I feel a blog post coming on : ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clarissa, there are quite a few plot lines in this book but for me they were easy to keep track of. Maybe it was because knowing a detective agency would have so much going on at once it seemed nature.

    Ingrid, hope you enjoy this. I could see a TV series based on this too.

    Talli, happy reading.

    Margot, writers working together would make an a very interesting post by you. I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of book. Gotta check it out.]


    Here is my Sunday Salon post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like busy books. They keep my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read a Patterson book in a while, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gautami, hope you enjoy the book. I'll pop over and see your Sunday Salon now.

    Teresa, this is definitely a busy book. But, it's not so busy that it seems made up just normal madness for a detective agency.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alex, I'd be interested in knowing what you thought of this. As I said, I've only heard "or heard" a couple of his books so I'm not sure if it's up to his standard or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say, I love "squeals!" Just kidding, Margot. :)

    Honestly, though, I'm not impressed by James Patterson's blatant use of other authors' works as his own. I've read that this is a great boost to those lesser known authors...But has anyone read a book published solely by Maxine Paetro?

    Michele
    Happy Birthday Blogfest at SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one in audio...I'm reluctant to try it, since I'm not comfortable with the format. And I guess I'm afraid that I'll miss things I would pick up while reading...

    It sounds good, though.

    Here's my salon: (click my name)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michele, thanks for pointing out my 'squeal' mistake. You just never know what your fingers and your eyes will see late at night. Guess I need to start re-reading in the early morning light.

    Laurel-Rain, for me this was a good audio. Maybe it was just the way the narrator held my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds great! I've wondered about this book, having seen it advertised on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you don't think this is mean-spirited, but... I have been reading Patterson's The 9th Judgment, one chapter a day for all 117 chapters, and blogging about my experience on my site, The Book Catapult. I think I have a different approach and a different take on his books than you (and seemingly, the many readers of your blog), but, well, there it is.

    All's fair in love and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crystal, I've seen that ad too. That could very well be Andy in the promo. :)

    Seth, to me that is one of the fun things about reading - each person takes something different away from the book. I'm off to check out your thoughts on Patterson.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fun read - thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I listened to this book and felt like it would have been better if the PI firm hadn't tried to tackle so many cases at once.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good. I envy their energy with turning out such exciting books.
    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sure the co-author does most of the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the sound of "Private" - and a new book every few months? Good Lord, now that's prolific!

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are so many great thrillers coming out at the moment, it's so hard to choose what to read next!
    Thanks for the review, this sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jemi, thanks for stopping by.

    Kathy, the PI firm were busy with cases in addition to a lot of personal issues.

    Glynis, I envy their energy too and I wonder where they find all their subject material.

    Diane, the co-authors seem to return a lot so it must work well for them.

    Marvin, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Charmaine, it is hard to pick what to read next with so many great books out. I enjoyed listening to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mason .. sounds like a really good racy read .. and fun too ..

    I haven't got into audio books yet - but must do .. and perhaps it's something I can download and listen to on my ipod or iphone, when I'm at my mother's bedside .. or walking up there ..

    Good review post - intrigued me! Thanks Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.