Monday, September 30, 2019

My Mostly Happy Life


Let me start by apologizing. This review is long overdue and should have been shared with you last year.

I apologize again for that. The delay wasn’t because of the book or the author even though I don’t think I can ever do the author’s work justice by my reviews (she’s super talented). I just got caught up in my own world of events, thought I had done it and then let it slip by. When I realized I hadn’t posted a review, unfortunately I let it slip by again. Just wanted you to know this is a “must read” book even if the review is extremely late.

* My Mostly Happy Life, Autobiography of a Climbing Tree
* By Shelly Reuben
* Paperback: 292 pages
* Publisher: BookBaby (April 27, 2018)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 0988418150
* ISBN-13: 978-0988418158 

My thoughts ….

Have you ever looked at a tree and wondered how old it is? Ever wondered about the changes that might have happened around that tree or what could have happened to the tree itself throughout its life span?

Author Shelly Reuben has a must-read book that gives an intriguing view of what a tree sees, the world around it, and the tree’s involvement in life. If you’ve never wondered any of these thoughts, you might find yourself doing so after reading this fascinating story.

Reuben draws readers into a mystical world of trees that quickly feels real. She brings a tree to life in a magical way as it tells a story of triumphs and tragedies and the families it touches. MY MOSTLY HAPPY LIFE, Autobiography of a Climbing Tree will be hard to put down with the skillful dialogue and spellbinding story line.

The writing has a smooth, rhythmic flow that takes the reader on a mesmerizing journey. The characters are strong, believable and well developed. The plot holds your attention from beginning to end. The reader becomes a part of the story feeling the complex emotions throughout the story.

Numerous black and white drawings throughout the book by Illustrator Ruth McGraw add depth to the story. The illustrations highlight points of the story and make them feel more plausible.

This is a story that will tug on your heart strings and have you smiling. It is a feel-good adventure that will have you looking at the outdoors in a whole different light.

 *****

  Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you will check out this book. It’s an amazing story and I’ve been amiss in telling you about it. Have you ever had any thoughts about a tree or did or do you have a favorite tree you go to when you want to relax?

5 comments:

  1. I am a tree hugger from way back, and revel in their beauty through the seasons. The ents were my favourite of Tolkein's characters and I still mourn the Ent-wives.
    Thank you for nudging me toward a book which is definitely one to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a favorite tree growing up in a vacant lot next to my house. My sister and I would pretend we lived in there (I even drew a map of the different floors) :) . Sounds like a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this does very good, Mason. And what an interesting perspective, too! You're right, too: Shelly Reuben is very talented, so I'm glad you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trees live so long, we can only imagine what they witness over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mason ~ I and my tree (who has had a Mostly Happy Life) are so happy that you enjoyed your time in The Samuel Swerling Park. I loved being there myself, and would be delighted to have others join us. There is always a free bench to sit on, or a tree to climb into with your favorite book. A thousand thanks! Shelly

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.