Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A DEEPER DARKNESS by J.T. Ellison


A Deeper Darkness coverAuthor J.T. Ellison is fast becoming one of my favorite writers. I found her protagonist Taylor Jackson intriguing and when I saw her latest release featured a new protagonist, I had to find out more.

Nashville (TN) Medical Examiner Samantha “Sam” Owens is battling her share of demons so when the mother of her ex-lover calls and requests her help, Sam is torn. But she soon agrees to exam the autopsy of Eddie Donovan, an ex-Ranger and a lover she still holds dear.

Arriving in Washington D.C., Sam is confronted by her feelings for Eddie, as well as the resentment from Eddie’s widow. However, Sam quickly learns Eddie’s death wasn’t from a random carjacking but was murder. As other members of Eddie’s unit from Afghanistan begin to die, Sam becomes determined to find answers even if it means putting herself in danger. 

Getting closer to answers and the killer leads Sam to Xander Whitfield, an off-grid ex-Ranger buddy of Eddie’s. Xander forces Sam to face her own demons as the story draws to an explosive end.

Narrator Joyce Bean gives a flawless delivery of the story. Her cadence matches the highs and lows in the story, as well as the rising tension as it unfolds. She gives distinct voices to the various characters bring them to life.

Author J.T. Ellison has created a wonderful new protagonist in Samantha Owens. Sam has flaws and issues that are believable, while being a dedicated medical examiner and a caring friend. Sam, as well as the supporting characters, are well-developed and likable.

Had I not read the synopsis before listening to A DEEPER DARKNESS, I wouldn’t have known exactly what Sam’s demons were until almost the end. At first that made the story awkward. But when I forgot the synopsis and just focused on listening, not knowing adds another layer of mystery and intrigue to find out what caused Sam to be as she was.

A DEEPER DARKNESS is a fast-pace mystery filled with suspense, intrigue and bits of humor. It will keep you guessing until the end. Can’t wait to see what Sam encounters in her next adventure, EDGE OF BLACK, coming in December.

Author J.T. Ellison’s website is www.jtellison.com

A Deeper Darkness by J.T. Ellison, Samantha Owens Book One, Performed by Joyce Bean, Brilliance Audio, @2012, ISBN: 978-1611063103, Unabridged, 9 CDs, Approximately 10 Hours 2 Minutes  

FTC Full Disclosure - This audio book was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
Do you like knowing all the details of the plot before reading or listening to a book? As always, ya’ll are the best. Thanks for stopping by. Have a fun Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Mason - Oh, Sam sounds like an interesting protagonist. I'm glad you enjoyed this novel and she sounds like someone I might enjoy meeting. You make an interesting point about synopses, too. Lots of times they're helpful - but not always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to medical thrillers- I just finished J. Thomas Shaw's latest medical thriller "The Rx Factor," and I am now hooked. It was fast paced and intriguing, with a touch of romance- my kind of book. Can't wait to read my next medical thriller "A Deeper Darkness." Thank you for suggesting it.
    The Rx Factor

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.