Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Salon: Scones & Bones by Laura Childs

Sunday Salon - a time to visit with friends, enjoy a good cup of coffee (or tea), relax in your favorite chair, and share the wonderful books you’ve read during the past week.

This week I only have one book to share but it’s the latest installment in one of my favorite series.


Reading a new Tea Shop Mystery is like visiting with old friends. Even though this is the 12th installment in the series, it is a stand alone book. New readers will be able to keep pace with the unique cast of characters without feeling lost.

Theodosia Browning, owner of the Indigo Tea Shop, is talked into attending the Heritage Society’s ‘Pirates and Plunder’ party by Drayton Conneley, master tea blender for the shop and Heritage Society booster. One of the main attractions of the gala is an antique skull drinking cup set with a huge diamond. It’s alleged to be the actual skull of Blackbeard.

The party takes a horrible turn when the skull is stolen, the society’s office manager is injured, and a history intern is killed.

Theodosia can’t help but get involved to find the skull and bring the killer to justice. Along the way she is also busy hosting a housewarming party to show off her new carriage house, participating in the Charleston Food and Wine Festival by sponsoring a tea and cheese tasting, having tingling feelings for the handsome new PR Director of the Gibbes Museum of Art, and of course, running her tea shop.

Author Laura Childs blends pirates, secret societies, buried treasures, mystery, murder, and mayhem with a touch of humor. Just when you think you have figured out who the killer is, a new twist introduces another possible suspect and another clue as to why the skull was taken.

This is a fast pace, enjoyable read from beginning to end. You don’t have to be a tea drinker to enjoy this delightful cozy mystery. But if you do enjoy tea, Drayton may just tempt you with a new flavor or two. Though I’m a huge coffee drinker, Theodosia and the gang at the Indigo Tea Shop have lead me to try some wonderful new tea blends and even collect a tea pot or two.

As an added bonus to SCONES & BONES, readers will find delicious recipes (such as Lemon Chess Pie), tea time tips and tea resources in the back of the book. There is also a preview of Laura Childs’ next Scapbooking Mystery, SKELTON LETTERS, coming in October from Berkley Prime Crime

Author Laura Childs’ website is www.laurachilds.com

Scones & Bones by Laura Childs, A Tea Shop Mystery, Berkley Prime Crime, @2010, ISBN: 978-0-425-23896-7, Hardcover, 320 pages


FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the author and publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

SIDE NOTE: Be sure to check out yesterday’s post to find out about the wonderful raffle Margot @ Confessions of a Mystery Novelist is holding to benefit the victims of the Christchurch earthquake.

What did you read this past week? When reading a book featuring tea, coffee or other types of food, do you find yourself partaking of those delicious indulgences?


13 comments:

  1. Always. I could really do with a scone right now.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mason and Laura .. sounds like a wonderful read .. especially the parts about the new teas in the tea shop - interesting history in life ..

    Thanks - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I do like a good cup of tea ;-j

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason - That sounds like a delightful mystery. And the interesting new teas.... Mmmmmmm..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just added this one to my wish list! I love cozy mysteries, but this one has so many elements that I love, starting with the name of the character Theodosia! Isn't that a delightful name? And carriage houses...love them! The cover reminds me of a shop where I sometimes go for "high tea."

    Thanks for sharing!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Laura Childs books remind me of the M.C. Beaton ones. I have some of the Childs ones. I like to make sure that I have the first book in the series before I read the latter ones. If I don't have it in my collection, I borrow it from the local library. Like most mystery books based on a theme, there is always something to learn. I keep a pad handy so I can write down things to search on the internet.

    This week I have read:
    Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
    The 3,000 Mile Garden by Leslie Land

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another good one to add to my already long list! I finished Dogsled Dreams (a quick and excellent read in the MG category, which I love). And there are so many more on my list! (sigh, not enough hours in a day)

    Thanks for stopping by my TGIF/green frog post and wishing me a sunny bright Sunday. It's raining but peaceful. Hope your day is peaceful (and thus bright) also!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's always something comforting about reading a book featuring tea, coffee or certain foods. I've seen it said that books with food in the title sell well, so there must be some lure to that comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, this one looks good! It doesn´t make me yearn for scones, though, but for cosy mysteries :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Laura's Tea Shop Mysteries and have already tried some of the teas in them. Always ready to read a new one.
    I also tried somme recipes from others culinary's mysteries with success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this series and can't wait to read Scones and Bones. And yes, novels influence my snacking/craving needs way too often!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.