Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Author F. M. Meredith Visits

It’s my pleasure to welcome author and fellow blogger F. M. Meredith back to Thoughts in Progress as the special guest blogger as she makes a stop on her virtual book tour.

F. M’s current release is ANGEL LOST, the latest installment in the Rocky Bluff P.D. Crime series. Here’s a brief synopsis of the book: As plans for her perfect wedding fill her mind, Officer Stacey Wilbur is sent out to trap a flasher, the new hire realizes Rocky Bluff P.D. is not the answer to his problems, Abel Navarro’s can’t concentrate on the job because of worry about his mother, Officer Gordon Butler has his usual upsets, the sudden appearance of an angel in the window of a furniture store captures everyone’s imagination and causes problems for RBPD, and then the worst possible happens—will Stacey and Doug’s wedding take place?

F. M. stops by today to talk about adding a bit of flavor to her Rocky Bluff P.D. Crime series through the characters.

When I first start thinking about writing a new Rocky Bluff P.D. novel, I begin with which characters I am going to spotlight. This series has an ensemble cast and each one needs to play a part. I hope that readers will want to know what is happening with the people that they’ve read about in previous books.

In ANGEL LOST, Stacey Wilbur is the main character as she is busily planning her wedding to Detective Doug Milligan. Doug wants to spend more time with Stacey and isn’t at all thrilled about her assignment to be a decoy to catch a pervert.

Of course, Officer Gordon Butler plays a big part in ANGEL LOST, far more than just being the comic relief as he goes about his usual duties and gets ready to move from his rented room in Doug’s house.

Officer Felix Zachary has a supporting role as he’s anticipating the birth of his and his wife’s first child.
 
Public Information Officer Ryan Strickland and his wife Barbara don’t agree that the angel appearing in the window of the furniture store is a message from God. Barbara is far more religious than her husband—but no matter what anyone thinks is the reason, the angel is causing quite a commotion in Rocky Bluff.

Because I hope that my readers want to know what’s going on with everyone who has made appearances in previous novels about the Rocky Bluff P.D., I like to touch on everyone’s life.

When I thought about what to write about Sergeant Abel Navarro, one of my favorites, I decided his mother, who has been a thorn in the side of Abel’s wife Maria, should start showing signs of Alzheimer’s.

A new character is Officer Vaughn Aragon, a transfer from LAPD, who is fighting his own demons.

Of course as the story progresses, all of these characters have a part in a major occurrence affecting the Rocky Bluff P.D.


Everyone on the Rocky Bluff P.D. and their loved ones seem very real to me, and once I’m through writing one book, I start thinking about what I’m going to learn about them in the next one.

F. M. Meredith

P.S. Mason is one of those people I’ve met through the Internet and feels like a friend.

F. M. I feel like we’re friends too. Thank you for guest blogging here today and telling us a bit about your characters. You make your characters realistic and as a reader I enjoy learning a little more about each of them in each book.

Now to learn a little more about F. M. She is also known as Marilyn Meredith and is the author of nearly thirty published novels. Her latest in the Rocky Bluff P.D. crime series, from Oak Tree Press, is ANGEL LOST. Marilyn is a member of EPIC, Four chapters of Sisters in Crime, including the Internet chapter, Mystery Writers of America, and on the board of the Public Safety Writers of America. Visit her at http://fictionforyou.com and her blog at http://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com

Here’s a book trailer of ANGEL LOST, enjoy


You can also read an excerpt from ANGEL LOST by clicking here.

Do you enjoy learning about the private lives of the characters in books you read? Do you find the secondary stories on characters takes away from the main plot?


14 comments:

  1. Marilyn, thanks so much for stopping by on your virtual book tour. It's always fun learning more background on the characters from the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Wishing you much success with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - Thanks for hosting Marilyn.


    Marilyn - Thanks for sharing the way you craft the "regulars" from your series. Of course readers of mystery series want a solid mystery. They want to know whodunnit. But readers come back (and come back...) to series where the characters interest them. It's like renewing a friendship. I wish you much success with Angel Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like learning about the private lives of characters in books. It seems to give them another layer, and more meaning to their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting Marilyn today. I look forward to reading your review later in the tour.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the character stories in books. For me they add depth and meaning to the main plot because we know why everyone does what they do.

    Good luck with Angel Lost, Marilyn.

    Mason, thanks for hosting her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I slept in a bit this a.m. and I'm on the West Coast so it took awhile for me to get to this. Mason, I love your blog and thank you so much for hosting me today. To me, my characters are every bit as real as any of my friends or relatives and I love seeing what is going o happen to them next.

    Thanks to you all for stopping by and reading my post, Cheryl,Carol,Joanne and Margot. Now it's time for me to have a cup of Chai tea latte!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The characters all sound so unique. I find it interesting that the mother (the thorn in the side!) has come down with Alzheimers. Should make her character interesting to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Turning the Clock Back, I just saw that Angel Lost is nearly half price today at Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the twist with Abel's mother. How dare she give Maria a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Character stories definitely add depth and reality to fiction. Your books sound really interesting, Marilyn, especially since the focus character changes from one to another. Best of luck with Angel Lost!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks CC sisters,and Cricket, thank you for the good cheer.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of characters we get to know and meet again - especially if they are engaging people, of course. It sounds as if Angel Lost is a cosy mystery, and in those the lives of the characters are very important, I´d say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy when recurring characters have real lives that change and grow with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dorte and Jemi, I'm so pleased you stopped by and read what I had to say about my book and characters.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.