Monday, June 7, 2010

That was Then

I read an article this weekend in the July 2010 edition of Cowboys and Indians magazine that sadden me and got me to thinking.

The brief article was titled, ROY ROGERS AUCTION, and was topped by a photo of Trigger. Remember Trigger?

Summarizing the article, the Roy Rogers-Dale Evans Museum in Branson, MO, closed Dec. 12, 2009. The reason for the close was listed as the sagging economy (of course, which has hit a lot of tourist attractions). But it also listed an aging demographic (back to this in a minute).

All the items in the museum are being auctioned off. There has already been one auction and the other two are slated for June 26 and July 14-15.

Some of the many items to be auctioned include Roy’s favorite hunting hat, his 1964 Lincoln Continental canary yellow convertible, and his first belt and double holster rig.

The last auction is the one with so many memorable items in my opinion. At this auction they will sell family photos, parade saddles, Dale’s charm bracelet, TV and film costumes, and a family china set.

Here are the items that tugged on my heartstrings: Nellybelle, the family Jeep; and Trigger, Buttermilk, and Bullet (all mounted). A part of me says, “Wow, I could own a piece of history (if I had tons of money),” while another part says,
“Say it ain’t so.” For those who don't know: Trigger (left photo) was Roy's horse, Buttermilk was Dale's horse, and Bullet was their dog.

It makes me feel a bit of childhood history will be lost forever. Which brings me back to an earlier comment - aging demographic.

If you are of the baby boom generation you grew up watching the adventures of Roy and Dale. While compared to today’s action-packed series, the show may seem silly and predictable. As a youngster watching it, the show was entertaining. You learned good wins over evil. There was always suspense, intrigue, a murder, a mystery, and a happy ending.

From my limited knowledge of Roy and Dale, they were a loving couple with great family values. I know Dale wrote a number of books about their lives and some of the tragedies they overcame. I’ve never read any of the books, but my mother did and she enjoyed them.

I guess I’m just sad that the younger generation will never enjoy simple adventures like those of Roy and Dale. What are your thoughts on this? Did you enjoy watching Roy and Dale or are you of the generation that didn’t get to see them?


13 comments:

  1. what I liked most about TV in the past was it let you use your imagination.

    I loved watching the Roy Rogers show as well as a couple of others during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made my kids sit and watch "I Love Lucy." :) They loved it! But Roy Rogers hasn't been available to watch casually on TV. You're right--there are things that I know about (Howdy Doody, Roy Rogers, etc) that weren't on TV when I was a kid, but were part of the culture. And now the culture has really changed and the shows are falling into history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe that makes me sad. I have to admit I never went to that museum. Branson is right over the next hill from me (as we say here)too.

    I'm like Elizabeth, it was a requirement for my children to watch "Lucy" "The Brady Bunch" and many other older shows. It was important to me.

    PS You won a journal over at my place.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Gen X, so I never saw Roy and Dale, but I did know of them.
    And I remember reading that's Roy's dream was to be stuffed and mounted on Trigger. Now that they are auctioning off their things, it's probably a good thing he wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really sad, but I don't think I'd want to own a stuffed horse or dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mason - Major changes like that really do make us sad. That's especially true if the change is to something that was a major part of our lives. I wasn't a Roy/Dale watcher, but yes - they were a big part of American culture and it is sad that the museum is closing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't really watch Roy Rogers, but this is a sad commentary. Life goes on, and we know that whatever cultural phenomenon of the day will someday go the way of Roy Rogers. There's a certain melancholy to the whole idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time marches on. I wonder who will buy those animals?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dru, you could let your imagination go with the old shows.

    Elizabeth, I'm glad your children loved "I Love Lucy." That was a classic.

    Teresa, sharing those shows with your children would be fun. Thanks so much for the journal.

    Diane, LOL, you're so right it's a good thing Roy was mounted with Trigger.

    Kathy, you do have a point there.

    Margot, you're right that major change is sometimes sad.

    Joanne, I think melancholy is right.

    Karen, oh let's not talk about the aging demographic thingie. :) I remember typing on a manual typewriter and was thrilled when I went to electric, now I wish I had my manual back.

    Carol, I've wondered that too. I'm guessing someone maybe who will start their own museum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did watch Roy and Dale on Saturday mornings. There wasn't a whole lot to watch on Saturday mornings at that point. I'm sorry their museum is closing, but no, I don't want to have Trigger or Buttermilk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were faithful watchers of Roy Rogers. My brother and I had to go to bed after "Happy Trails."

    Back then, almost all TV shows were westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. This really saddens me. Thanks for posting about it. Happy Trails!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't really watch Roy Rogers - but I knew all about him and Trigger! So it is almost as if I had watched...

    It's always sad to see a classic disappearing, but new ones will take its place.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.