Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Amaranthine Explained


I’m thrilled today to welcome fellow blogger, friend and author Murees Dupé to Thoughts in Progress to talk about her latest release, THE AMARANTHINE.

Murees joins us to explain how THE AMARANTHINE came to be and where it is leading her writing. You may recall my review of this captivating story last month.

THE AMARANTHINE by Murees Dupé
◊ Series: Thelum Series, Book 1
◊ Paperback: 442 pages
◊ Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Paranormal
◊ Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 1 edition (August 28, 2016)
◊ Language: English
◊ ISBN-10: 1516929144
◊ ISBN-13: 978-1516929146

          Claire is sassy, human, and an outcast of society, who only wants to know where she belongs. Alex is arrogant, selfish, and an immortal warrior, who thinks he’s prepared for everything.
Claire knows the world of immortals is where she belongs. As her guide and guardian, Alex finds it hard to resist Claire’s subtle charm. Can the two overcome their differences and embrace their passion for each other, or will the possibility of true love be lost to both forever?

You can purchase a copy of THE AMARANTHINE at any of the following sites:
Paperback: Createspace * Amazon

Now please join me in giving a warm welcome to Murees as she drops in to explain about THE AMARANTHINE. Welcome, Murees. Glad you stopped by for a visit.

Thank you so much for having me over, Mason. It is an honor and privilege to be visiting on your blog today. You are amazing!

I wrote The Amaranthine back in 2009 when I was still unemployed. I had the idea of immortals running around in my brain, after all, I loved reading stories about werewolves, vampires, shapeshifters, and you name it. It took me three months to write my first draft. I then spent another six years constantly rewriting that first book, until I had the courage to indie publish it last year. Of course, after my editor, Janie Goltz whipped it into its current glorious state.

After I finished with The Amaranthine, I didn’t feel like Claire and Alex’s story was finished just yet. So, book two will continue where book one ended. However, book two definitely takes the series into a different direction than what I had originally intended, but it’s going to be good. Don’t worry, Alex, Claire and the rest of the original characters will be making guest appearances every now and again.

The purpose behind The Amaranthine was that I wanted my characters to be flawed. I wanted the reader to hate Alex at first, so that they could love him later. I wanted Claire to be curvier than what one would usually read about. I didn’t want her to be the perfect supermodel. Thelum is a world where good always triumphs evil. Where the underdog always prevails, and misfits always find the place they belong. It’s a world where anything is possible, and you are only limited by your own lack of imagination.

The hardest part about writing The Amaranthine was deciding in which genre it falls. For me personally, I think it straddles various genres. I love paranormal romance, and thus, because it had the romantic elements and immortals, that’s the genre, I chose. The first feedback I got was that it doesn’t contain quite that much romance. That it rather belonged in a fantasy genre. I panicked because my created world (Thelum) isn’t nearly as detailed, or depicted on such a grand scale as most fantasy novels. So, a few months ago, I decided on both the paranormal fantasy/ urban fantasy genre, with romantic elements. Of course, now the urban fantasy community is also disagreeing with me:) Thinking up new interpretations, ideas and the writing is definitely my favorite part of the whole process.

Once again, Mason, thank you so much for having me. This was so much fun.

Murees, thanks so much for joining us today and explained about your book. I would say that it falls under several genres, but no matter what it’s labeled it’s a fascinating read. I like that the characters are flawed and you come to like (or dislike) them more as the story unfolds.

For those not familiar with Murees, here’s a bit of background on her.

Author Murees Dupé
Murees Dupé is a South African author. When she is not thinking up new stories, she is spending time with her family, playing with her three dogs, watching TV, or overindulging her sweet tooth.

Murees can be found online at the following sites: Her website * Twitter * Facebook * Instagram * Pinterest * Goodreads.

Thanks so much for stopping by during Murees’ visit. Do you enjoy stories that fall under several genre labels? Does a genre label really matter to you as long as the story is interesting?

33 comments:

  1. Hi Mason and Murees - great guest ... while Amaranthine sounds like a great read. Dreaming up story lines, with characters and then putting it all together is a great feat - well done and now onto the next two ... sounds like you're on track ... cheers to you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cross genre tales. And flawed characters. I think they reflect a reality we can recognise. And are frequently fun.
    Thank you Mason and congratulations Murees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this opportunity, Mason. Sending you lots of virtual chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murees, you're welcome and thank you for visiting Thoughts. I so enjoyed your book. The characters are the ones you love, hate, love. :) Thanks for the chocolates I'm happy to share.

      Hi, all. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. But cross-genre stories are very popular right now, so don't think of it as a bad thing.
    Murees, thanks for not ending it with everyone still hating Alex...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex is the man, of course I couldn't let people hate him at the end;)

      Delete
  5. I've also had problems labeling my work with a genre. Claire and Alex sound like great characters with a great storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Medeia. I think the genre label is the hardest.

      Delete
  6. Fantasy sounds like the best fit. Most big publishers don't want something that crosses genres, but readers want books like that, which is why so many are self-published or published by a small press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I like fantasy as well. I am glad I indie published.

      Delete
  7. I always have so much respect for authors who create whole new realities this way. And it's doubly interesting that the book doesn't squarely fit in a particular genre. Thanks, both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds SO interesting. I can't wait to read it. Congrats to Murees. Hard work pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Murees...great to see you shining over here. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mac. Thoughts in Progress is a great blog. I have discovered so many great books here.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous cover. And I love immortals. Congratulations, Murees! Hi, Mason! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this book - and I love how it doesn't conform to normal genre limitations. It's like there's something for everyone, but it still all comes together so it doesn't feel mismatched or anything. Can't WAIT for book 2! Great post, Murees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job on the interview, Murees. Congratulations on your new book! Much success in the next ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's tricky when a story won't fit nicely into a given genre. I think you have to go with your gut on this one.

    I'm looking forward to reading your book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flawed characters are always the best. Great to hear more about Murees' great story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm happy to hear you're working on Book Two! And flawed characters are the most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think flawed characters are always the most interesting to write about. Best of luck with your work, it sounds like it has a great future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, Paranormal with romance elements? I think paranormal basically says there's romance these days. Urban fantasy is totally real world based though. Don't you love trying to fit your work into a specific box?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hybrid author is on the rise so it makes sense that cross-genre stories are a sign of the times...seems like it will become the new "normal"!
    Congrats again, Murees!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.