Monday, June 4, 2012

Author Nancy Stewart On Muses And Breaks


I’m delighted to welcome author Nancy Stewart back to Thoughts in Progress as she makes a stop on her Pump Up Your Book Virtual Book Tour with her latest release, KATRINA AND WINTER: PARTNERS IN COURAGE.

The book is a delight and very inspiring. If you haven’t read my review, you can check it out here.

Today Nancy joins us to talk about, “Come on, Muse! Give Me a Break.”

What is it about muses? I know they take their work seriously, and yet conjuring up mine can be quite a chore at times.

I almost always search for her at the computer. She’s usually there, but not today.  Sometimes she hides in my Favorites List. But not today. How about the Homepage? Nope. One more try my lists of guest posts. Occasionally she will transform herself into a bright new post from an old one. Today, no such luck.

Katrina and Winter CoverNot one to give up, I go to the gym. Strangely enough, she hangs out there. And usually her gym ideas are good ones, full of life and vigor. She particularly likes the elliptical. Actually, so do I. But after 25 minutes of trying to coax her to visit, I give up and move to other machines where I’ve never seen her ply her magic.

On the way home, I stop by the bookstore. I congratulate myself on a stroke of genius. She can’t not be there, I tell myself. It’s a muse kind of place, after all. She’s not there. Not even in the kids’ books section. She’s always in the kids’ books section. Copying ideas, I tell her, but she rejects that notion.

Ah, well. I give up. I’ve learned there’s no future in sleuthing after a muse that does not want to be detected. So, home I go.

I consider the computer a lost cause, so I opt for a glass of iced tea and a comfy chair. And then, like a tiny bee buzzing in my brain, she’s here. She speaks of Bella and Britt and dolphins, of a middle grade novel set in Africa, of a chapter book series. 

My muse is such a tease. But when she gets down to business, there’s no stopping her! Today, I’m just happy she visited, threw out a couple of notions then left me to ruminate.  

What is it about muses? I still haven’t figured out that answer. But I’m happy I have one!

Katrina and Winter banner

Nancy, thanks so much for guest blogging again. A muse can be quite unpredictable at times but I’m glad yours brings you such intriguing stories.

Now here’s a bit of background on Nancy. She is the bestselling and award winning author of the four Bella and Britt Series books for children: One Pelican at a Time (18 weeks on Amazon Bestselling List), Sea Turtle Summer, Bella Saves the Beach and Mystery at Manatee Key. All are published by Guardian Angel Publishing.  

One Pelican at a Time and Nancy were featured in the PBS Tampa special, GulfWatch. Pelican has won the Literary Classics Seal of Approval, Readers Favorite Five Star Award and was nominated for a Global eBook Award.

Her travels take her extensively throughout the world, most particularly Africa. She is US chair of a charity in Lamu, Kenya, that places girls in intermediate schools to allow them to further their education. Nancy is a frequent speaker at conferences, including the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.

She and her husband live in Tampa and St. Louis. For more on Nancy and her writing, visit her website at http://www.nancystewartbooks.com

Do you have a muse? Is it unpredictable or always there when you need it? Thanks so much for stopping by today. Have a great Monday and remember to share a good book with a friend.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting Nancy!

    My muse and I haven't spoken in years. :) I just plug on despite her silence! It sure would be nice to have her visit once in a while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to be back on your lovely blog. Thanks so much!

    And for all of you out there calling your muse, don't give up. She's closer than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, thanks again for guest blogging. I always enjoy your stories. Wishing you continued success.

    Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you plug on without your muse, otherwise I wouldn't have a brand new protagonist to meet in QUILT OR INNOCENCE (released this week).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason - Thanks for hosting Nancy.

    Nancy - I know all about trying to convince that elusive muse to do her job. I'm glad you mentioned getting exercise because honestly, that's one way I've found to get my creativity going and wake up Ms. Muse. I find that a change of setting can help too. I wish you much success with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting Nancy today. This is a wonderful book. I hope your readers get a chance to check it out. As for muses, she keeps bugging me, but I don't have time to listen lately. Hopefully summer will be a better time for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nancy, What a remarkable post! I am so inspired by it. My muse has been in hibernation lately due to a few curb balls life has thrown my way. I hope to bring her out of again very soon. Good luck with your book tour.

    Nicole weaver
    Trilingual Children's Author
    http://mysisterismybestfriend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my muse is moody and may need therapy and or medication. I can't always depend on her. :)

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah the Muses, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. May they treat us all fairly and with as much kindness as they can muster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy - I'm glad your muse finally put in an appearance. Mine is ornry. Loves to show up at the worst time - when I have no way to capture what she's tossing my way. And at my age, relying on memory is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate when my muse hides. You write some great books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to you all for your great comments! It really is amazing how we coddle our muses along, sometimes to no avail at all! But we keep trying...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely intriguing post! I coax my muse out by meditating if I get stuck. Nothing is better than getting comfy on my bed with pillows surrounding me, putting my iPod ear buds in and listening to meditative music for 10-15 minutes. Rejuvenates my conscious outlook too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nancy,
    I think all of your friends are happy that you have such an inspiring Muse--don't let her get away!

    www.barbarabockman.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.