Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saturday Shuffle Of Reviews


The weathermen in my area of the world are calling for a sunny, but cool and windy day - perfect for relaxing with a good book. But then, to me any day is a good day to read.

I’d like to share a variety of reviews with y’all. As usual, I’m featuring various genres. Hope you find something that sparks your interest.

A FEELING IN MY BONES by Gervase Shorter

Jake and Sally met at college and fell in lovFeeling_Covere. The Forresters had a happy life of sorts living in England. Sally worked as a book editor and Jake served as a ‘consultant’ working out problems between companies.

Jake takes a job from a recluse billionaire named Kroger. While abroad on an assignment, Jake disappears. Sally’s not sure where he is, possible Africa. A month later Jake surfaces in a mental clinic in Miami, FL. He’s suffered a nervous breakdown.

Events from there drastically change the couple’s lives forever. Kroger has died and just before he did, changed his will leaving everything to Jake and Sally. While they should be enjoying the good life, Jake has changed. He is no longer the warm and loving man Sally married. The more she checks, the more she discovers she should have left things alone.

This is an intriguing thriller that starts with Sally knowing too much. The reader is then drawn in to find out what it is she knows and why it’s so terrifying and life-threatening.

Author Gervase Shorter has a way of painting beautiful settings with his words. While there are several side stories, they serve to give more depth to the characters and their actions.

There are twists and turns throughout to keep you guessing until the end. This is a fast-pace read that will be hard to put down once you begin.

Author Gervase Shorter’s website is www.gervaseshorter.com

A Feeling In My Bones by Gervase Shorter, Amazon, @2011, ASIN: B005UNJDFA, Kindle, 414 KB, 252 Pages 

FTC Full Disclosure - This eBook was sent to me by the author in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
D.C. DEAD by Stuart Woods

9781611760439For his latest mystery, author Stuart Woods brings the main characters from three of his series* together for a search for a killer.

CIA Agent Holly Barker contacts Stone Barrington and NYPD Detective Dino Bacchetti on behalf of President Will Lee. A sensitive case needs their discretion and expertise.

Lee will soon be leaving the White House and he and his wife, the CIA Director, want to know for sure if a former member of their cabinet killed his wife and then himself. The investigation leads Stone and Dino through the exclusive world of Washington politics, power and privilege. They soon learn they are treading on the scandalous side where secrets are great motivation for murder.

Meanwhile, a secondary un-related story is going on in the background involving the CIA and Holly.

It was interesting having all these main characters together in one story. The plot, while not action-packed, was intriguing as the layers were peeled away. There was some foul language, but not over used.

As always, Tony Roberts did a wonderful job narrating the story. I can’t image Stone or Dino without hearing Roberts’ interruption. His style and mannerisms add depth to the characters and brings the story to life.

No matter what Stone and Dino are up to, you know murder, mystery, intrigue, and a good stiff drink will be involved. If you’re a Barrington fan, this is another one to add to your collection.

This is a stand alone book even though it involves characters from other stories. *Stone and Dino are from the Stone Barrington series, Holly from the Holly Barker series, and Will from the Will Lee series.

Looking forward to these characters’ next adventure either as a group or individual series.

Author Stuart Woods’ website is www.stuartwoods.com

D.C. Dead by Stuart Woods, A Stone Barrington Novel, Read by Tony Roberts, Penguin Audio, @2011, ISBN: 978-1611760439, Unabridged, 6 Disc, Listening Time 7 Hours, 30 Minutes 

FTC Full Disclosure - This audio book was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
THE COUGAR’S PREY by Larry D. Sweazy

CougarsPreyIt’s early 1875 and Texas Ranger Josiah Wolfe has gone undercover to investigate cattle thefts and raids that have ranchers upset in Corpus Christie.

Even though he was cleared of any wrong doing concerning the death of a fellow Ranger, the town isn’t willing to be as forgiving of Wolfe. So Captain Leaunder McNelly sends Wolfe to Corpus Christie possessing as hide trader Zeb Teter.

The more Wolfe investigates, the more he finds all may not be as it seems. The reasons for his assignment may run deeper than he suspects.

Author Larry D. Sweazy does a wonderful job placing the reader in the territory as he vividly describes the area. He masterfully blends historical events and people with his own characters for a plausible chain of events.

THE COUGAR’S PREY is an intriguing tale of western lore, murder, mystery and deception. It’s a fast-pace read that will lasso readers in and hold them till the end.

Author Larry D. Sweazy’s website is www.larrydsweazy.com

The Cougar’s Prey by Larry D. Sweazy, A Josiah Wolfe Texas Ranger Novel, Berkley, @ 2011, ISBN: 978-0425243947, Paperback, 304 Pages 

FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by BreakThrough Promotions (http://www.breakthroughpromotions.net/) in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
Have you read any of these books? Do you enjoy mixing your reading up a bit? Thanks so much for stopping by.
 

13 comments:

  1. I like the sound of the first story, it's got lots of interesting twists for the reader to explore.

    I usually move between contemporary fiction and memoir with my reading, depending. But those are my two go-to genres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - What interesting books! Thanks for sharing these. I do find myself moving back and forth among genres sometimes. I think it gives one a good perspective on what's out there to read. And you've got some interesting choices here, too! What a deliciously creepy cover on A Feeling in My Bones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your reviews. A Feeling in My Bones is the coolest title. And I find the premise interesting. I want to read that one.

    Have a great weekend, my friend!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice reviews! I love when an author brings characters together from different books. It reminds me when I was little and watching Flintstones. The best episodes were when the cast from Rocky and Bullwinkle or Bewitched showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a variety. Sometimes, I tire of a genre and move to another only to flit back and forth after a few books. I love to read reviews on a variety of books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne, A FEELING IN MY BONES does have a lot of twists and for me - an unexpected ending.

    Margot, you're right about getting an idea of what is out there by switching among the genres. Gervase's book cover does say creepy and mystery doesn't it.

    Teresa, I think you'd enjoy A FEELING IN MY BONES and like the ending. Wishing you a great weekend too, my friend.

    BookBelle, it is fun when your favorite characters come together whether in books or shows. I remember those episodes of The Flintstones. They were fun, wish they bring all those back.

    Renee, variety does help make reading more interesting. I'm like you, reading only one genre can get a bit tiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to check out A Feeling in my Bones. I enjoy Stuart Woods every once in a while. Maybe it's time to read him again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all sound intriguing! I'd choose each one - depending on my mood and the day. I like to read all kinds of things! :)

    Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting your blog always makes me want to stop everything and curl up with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mason read and thoroughly enjoyed "A Feeling In My Bones", my thoughts align with yours and think that I have found another author whose work would like to try more from soon, if Mr. Shorter will let me anyway!
    Woods have heard of but never read any of his work and Sweazy is new to me but love westerns that feature the setting of Texas towns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mason .. "A Feeling in my Bones" sounds a very interesting story - my sort of read .. and I love your review .. thanks - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your blog...very nice....NEW follower.

    I am stopping by from the Top Writing Blog competition.

    Just wanted to say hello. This is a great way to find new blogs and visit ones you haven't visited in a while. :)

    Elizabeth - Silver's Reviews

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.