Friday, April 29, 2016

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss


The name Vanderbilt brings to mind wealth and fame and to some that automatically translates to happiness.

However, in THE RAINBOW COMES AND GOES Gloria Vanderbilt tells her son, Anderson Cooper, some of the heartaches and sorrows she has faced growing up dubbed ‘the poor, little rich girl.’ Thought emails the mother and son shared over a year period listeners learn money truly does not buy happiness and love. The story is read by Gloria and Anderson giving listeners an added bonus.

After his mother suffered a brief serious illness at age 91, Anderson resolved to get to know her better. They began corresponding through emails which lead them to have more in depth and honest discussions than they had ever had. Anderson questioned his mother about her childhood and the choices she had made along the way.

THE RAINBOW COMES AND GOES cover a year-long discussion between mother and son that brought them to a closer understanding of each other. In their own voices, the two share their sorrows and disappointments, along with fleeting moments of happiness. Gloria talks at length about growing up without a father or father figure in her life, her unresolved feelings toward her mother, and what life was like for a young girl thrown into the spotlight when family members fought in court to control her inheritances.

This is not a story about having it all. It’s a touching, tender story of a young girl searching for love and family, her drive to live, and the life she created. In addition, it’s a story of a grown son’s love and admiration for his mother and the driving spirit that pushes him forward.

Through the telling of triumphs and tragedies, the story stresses the need for parents and children to share more between themselves. The sometimes humorous and often very candid private thoughts reveal a lot remains to be shared if only one will pursue it.

An inspiring memoir that might just change the way you view people, especially those who have it all. This is a lovely reminder to connect with those you love before it’s too late.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss, Narrated by Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper, Harper Audio, @2016, ASIN: BO1BLV2086, Unabridged, Audible Audio Edition, Run Time: 6 Hours and 16 Minutes

FTC Full Disclosure – A copy of this audio book was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review. The thoughts are completely my own and given honestly and freely.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. I encourage you to check out this fascinating audio. I was truly surprised by the in depth personal look into their lives. Do you know the background of Gloria Vanderbilt and how she was in court at age 9 due to her inheritances?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mason - this does look interesting .. I've put it on my wish list ... I didn't know about her inheritances ... it will be enlightening .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That woman is in her nineties? Wow, does she look good for her age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating family, and I'm sure they have a lot of insights to share. Thanks, Mason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always believed that the more you have, the more problems come with it. I'm putting this on my list. I've always said that if I ever have a major/newsworthy event in my life I'd choose to be interviewed by Anderson Cooper, he has such a quiet empathetic way of speaking to people.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is one I'd truly enjoying reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to the Biltmore a couple of years ago--that's a family of massive wealth! I knew Anderson Cooper was related to someone wealthy, but I had no idea it was the Vanderbilts...nor did I realize Gloria Vanderbilt was his mom. I always think of the jeans when I hear her name! I think I owned a pair back in the 70s or 80s. Roller-skating jeans.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.