Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween … It’s Been 5 Years



Ghosts, witches, goblins, and more..oh my! Today is the day adults get to act like kids and kids are supposed to get candy, candy and more candy.

For those of you celebrating Halloween today, I hope it’s a day of fun and great treats. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

I’ve noticed more and more adults are getting into the Halloween spirit dressing up, hosting parties and not feeling guilty for consuming yummy sweets. I enjoy seeing youngsters dressed up in all sorts of attire enjoying themselves.

This past Sunday evening our church held a fall festival and the youngsters (as well as some adults) dressed up. Since we live about a mile from the church, we agreed to be the turnaround spot for the hay ride. They also wanted to stop a few minutes for a devotion before heading back to the church. I thought what’s a hay ride without hot chocolate, so I suggested we serve it before the devotion.

This was a Sunday School project so how bad could it be? Then I learned the festival was an open event. There would be at least 50 to 75 on the hay ride. There was no way to make hot chocolate one cup at a time.

As luck would have it, I had a huge canister of Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa. I finally decided to make three separate large broilers of hot chocolate (it had to be made with milk) and poured it all into a large coffee urn we borrowed from a local fire department.

When all was said and down, we served hot chocolate and sugar cookies to over 100 youngsters (and adults) arriving on four wagons throughout the evening. We even had one cup of hot chocolate left when the evening was over. It was hectic, but great fun.

It’s Been 5 Years …..

Have you been wondering what the five years is all about? Well, five years ago on this date (Oct. 31st) I wrote my first blog post.

Sometimes I can’t believe it’s been that long and other times it seems like it’s been longer. I would have never imaged that I would have so many delightful followers and charming visitors. I am truly blessed to have y’all in my life.

I have meet so many amazing authors and fellow readers throughout the years and unfortunately a few have been taken from us. I’ve also discovered so many intriguing books that I could start my own library. Smile

The enthusiasm around blogdom may go up and down but the friendship I’ve made is something I miss when I have to be off line. In that regard, I want to say a huge thank you again to everyone for your kind words of comfort and sympathy during the recent passing of my mother-in-law. I’m still trying to get into a new ‘normal’ routine while continuing to help care for my 98-year-old father-in-law. I thought I would have more time (or at least as much time) to visit blogs and do my reviews, but I keep running into new things that have to be done. Just know I deeply appreciate each and every one of you.

I hope everyone has a HAPPY HALLOWEEN. Thanks so much for stopping by today. If you have any suggestions and/or recommendations you’d like to see made here in the coming year, share them in the comments. Be sure to have lots of candy on hand for the trick or treaters.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on such a significant anniversary. I am always blown away by the warmth and the wonder I have found in the blogosphere.
    And a very Happy Halloween to all those who celebrate. Many treat - no tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mason - congratulations on five years .. and yes blogdom is a great place and very supportive. Your devotional idea with must have been such a pleasure for all attendees.

    Well done on taking care of FIL .. there's always so much to do and he will need a lot of support and more importantly time ... he needs you ...

    Take care and have a peaceful Halloween ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blog Anniversary! Take care, we'll be here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on five years of blogging! I can't imagine your blog not being a part of my morning routine. Even though I don't comment every day, I do read you every day! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We understand why you can't make it around to all of the blogs - no worries.
    Happy five years! You started blogging nine days before I did.
    That was really nice of you to give out hot chocolate to those stopping for the devotional. Your church is blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 5th Blogiversary—wishing you many more; I love your site!

    Sheila K.
    skkorman AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 5th anniversary!

    Our church does a huge Fall Fest with a hayride, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Mason, on five great years of blogging! I get new ideas every time I visit your blog, and I look forward to more. Happy Hallowe'en!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, on five years, and happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy five years!

    The hayride and hot chocolate sounds like it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like you had lovely time with all those people visiting!
    My blog is five years too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly, I am sad to hear of the passing of your mother-in-law.

    Secondly, congrats on five years. Tis a long time in the blogging world.

    Here's to five more. Oh, and Happy Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Halloween all. Thanks so much for stopping by and for the good wishes for the blog anniversary. Y'all are the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful hot chocolate experience! Lots of fun for everyone :)
    Congrats on the 5 years. I think I've been going around that long too - it's been a lot of fun Mason!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mason, what a nice thing you did for everyone on the hayrides. Yummy hot chocolate! CONGRATS on your 5 year blogging anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Happy Blogoversary!!!!!! Yep we are just about a week apart! I would have been by sooner but I was at Barkworld and didn't bring my laptop. Here's to zillions more years! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.