Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Man With The Glass Heart by Shelly Reuben


Not having read a fable since my youth, I wasn’t quite sure what to THE MAN WITH THE GLASS HEART - Cover - Finalexpect when I began Shelly Reuben’s THE MAN WITH THE GLASS HEART.

What I found was a well crafted story with beguiling characters and a fantasy world that drew me in and made me want to believe. I found a book that held me spellbound from beginning to end.

Panache is a delightful road gypsy on her merry way to the mountains. Along the way she encounters Benjamin Pencil, the Man with the Glass Heart. Benjamin has never been to the mountains and sees no use for them. His only concern is guarding his glass heart.

In time he agrees to go with Panache to the mountains. On their journey they come upon some very intriguing characters. They meet the Woman with the Breeding, who collects hearts; the Man who Laughs, who creates fear and kills dreams; and Panache’s father, who is unreliable, but irresistible. They also encounter Melody, a melodious laughing bird, that lures Benjamin into an Arabian Nights world that changes everything.

Reuben does an excellent job weaving this fable with a mixture of make-believe and life’s lessons. The story flows smoothly, is easy to follow, and the characters are enchanting.

THE MAN WITH THE GLASS HEART is a story of love and loss, hopes and dreams, and living and experiencing life. To summarize it more, I think would be difficult. This is the type of book where each reader will encounter their own unique experiences and each take away something a little different.

To lose yourself in a world of possibilities, take a journey with Panache and THE MAN WITH THE GLASS HEART.

Author Shelly Reuben’s website is http://www.shellyreuben.com/wordpress/

The Man With The Glass Heart by Shelly Reuben, Bernard Street Books, @2012, ISBN: 978-0988418103, Paperback, 218 Pages

FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the author in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
Thanks everyone for stopping by today. Many of you may remember author Shelly Reuben visited us here at Thoughts on March 24. If you missed her post, click here and she what she had to say about writing this book and the beautiful cover. When was the last time you read a fable?

1 comment:

  1. Mason - Thanks for this review. I do indeed remember Shelly's visit and it was so interesting to read about how she developed this story. I give a lot of credit to authors who create completely different worlds like that.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.