Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hodgepodge and Then Some

Today’s post is a hodgepodge of things going on here and around blogdom.

I have a number of awards that I’d like to say “thanks” for and pass along to others. These were given to me over the past few weeks and this is the first time I’ve had a chance to really pass them along.

First up, Carol at Under the Tiki Hut tagged me last month with a handwriting mem. Since I had to hand-write my answers, I decided to print so you could have a better chance reading them.

1. Full Name and Blog Name

2. Right handed, left handed, or both?

3. Favorite letters to write.
4. Least favorite letters to write.
5. Write "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."
6. Write these words in all caps: CRAB HUMOR KALEIDOSCOPE PAJAMAS GAZILLION
7. Write the lyrics to your favorite song. Can you guess the song? I began liking it because of a TV show.
8. Tag seven (7) VERY SPECIAL BLOGS with a unique drawing or doodle. The names and their links are below.
Dru Ann @ notes from me
Stephen @ Breakthrough Blogs 
Kathleen @ From Cop to Mom And The Words In Between
Next, Leigh @ That’s Write presented me with the "Happy 101 Award". Thanks Leigh. I’ve just recently found Leigh’s blog and enjoy visiting it. If you haven’t stop by before, be sure to drop by and say hi. You’ll be glad you did.

I like to pass this on to:
Vicki @ Rambles and Randomness for making me spew coffee all over my computer from time to time with her hilarious, laugh-out loud post.
Nissi @ Nissi Peters (aka Glynis Smy) for sharing her delightful new creation, Chewy Chester with us.

Michele @ Southern City Mysteries honored me with the "Literacy Builder Blog Award". I am touched and honored to receive this
award as literacy is an important issue to me. Literacy is something that given how advanced we are as a society shouldn’t exist, but yet it does. Thanks Michele. If you haven’t stop by her site, please be sure to do so. She offers great advice and helpful tips for writing and helps spread the word about literacy on her blog and with her professional career.

Here are the rules that came with the award:
1. Thank and link back to the person who gave you this award.
2. Display the award logo on your blog site.
3. Tell us five of your favorite words and why you like them (add as many as you’d like).
4. Pass the award on to three bloggers you feel are excellent literacy builders, and link to their sites.
5. Contact the bloggers you’ve chosen and let them know about the award.

My Words
1. Hodgepodge - a mixture, jumble - because that’s the way my day usually goes.
2. Zephyr - a gentle breeze or breeze from the west - it just sounds like a peaceful word and makes me think calm.
3. Loquacious - full of excessive talk, wordy - there are days when I just seem to ramble on and on, plus I like the way it sounds.
4. Veranda - a roofed open gallery, porch - this word brings to mind summer evenings, sipping sweet ice tea, Gone With the Wind, and the most Southern drawl you can image. Where’s Rhett when you need him?
5. Thingamajig - something that is hard to classify, whose name is forgotten - this words seems to be coming up more and more in my daily speech as I …. now what was I talking about, oh well it’ll come back to me later.

I’d like to pass this along to
KarenG @ Coming Down the Mountain. Karen has done a great job helping others promote their work and getting bloggers together.
Sia @ Sia McKye’s Thoughts … Over Coffee. Sia, who is a writer, has a wonderful blog where she hosts other authors and does a great job reviewing books.
Jemi @ Just Jemi. Jemi has a wonderful blog that provides great help for writers and non-writers alike. But to me Jemi represents more because she’s a teacher and she’s the type of teacher I wish I’d had when I was in school. She encourages her students to read and write their own stories and she even reads to them. How great is that?

Be sure to drop by and visit all three of these lovely ladies. They do an excellent job promoting writing and reading.

I was also awarded the "Lovely Blog Award" by Jane @ Crazy Jane. Thanks Jane, I appreciate the award and am touched by your
thoughtfulness. Jane was an interesting blog where she shares her thoughts and inspiration. She’s just gotten a dream contract. Be sure to drop by her blog to found out about it.

I’d like to pass this on to  

Linda @ Linda Leszczuk. This is a new blog that I've just found and enjoy visiting. Linda has some very interesting post about writing and all that goes with it.
Clarissa @ Listen To the Voices Clarissa has one of the most informative, entertaining, and enlightening blogs. If you want to learn how to make a movie trailer, check out her blog.
Nancy @ This Writer’s Life This is another new blog that I'm enjoying visiting very much. Nancy shares her thoughts on writing.
I hope you’ll stop by all these lovely blogs and say hello, if you don’t already.

Now to pass along a great link. Ingrid had an interesting post yesterday at The Conscious Cat entitled World’s Best Cat Litter Gives Back. If you didn’t get a chance to read the post, be sure to do so. I know a lot of you are pet owners and a good number have cats. This post tells how you can help donate cat litter to various organizations.

One more thing, Holly at Bellas Novella had a post yesterday telling about how to get a graphic novel from Janet Evanovich - free. Check it out.

That’s my hodgepodge and more today. If all goes well I’ll have reviews to share with you on Sunday Salon. Have a wonderful Saturday. Remember to enjoy your time with your loved ones and smile at the strangers (it might just brighten their day).


26 comments:

  1. You have really neat handwriting, Mason. And that doodle is awesome cute.

    Love your choice of words- they are all so wonderful.

    And congratulations on the Awards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Hodgepodge... I love these less structured posts. A little of this and that. Congratulations on all the awards.. Very deserving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on all the awards, and thank you for tagging the Conscious Cat with your amazing drawing - that is so cute (not to mention creative and talented)! Thank you also for the link to the litter post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a neat hand, Mason.
    Congratulations on so many awards.

    Thank you so much for my award. Nissi Peters and Chewy Chester are delighted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rayna, thanks for the kind words. I found the dog drawing and added the names. He was so cute I couldn't resist.

    Lou, thanks. Sometimes I run behind and my little of this and that grows into a lot of this and that.

    Ingrid, thanks. Your blog is amazing. You provide such wonderful information for cat owners, as well as fun and entertaining post. Glad to pass along the link about the litter donation.

    Glynis, thank you. I think Chewy is the neatest. Nissi has done an great job with him and I look forward to his many adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mason - Congratulations on your well-deserved awards!! You do have terrific handwriting; mine is so horrendous that it's pretty much illegible.

    And I love your word hodgepodge. That's a terrific word, and it's got such a nice rhythm to it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A whole latte awards going on over here, congratulations! I always enjoy seeing the handwriting meme. Somehow with the use of computers, there seems to be such an art to the different cursives I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen so many awards! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the doodle! And your handwriting is very nice. Congratulations on your awards :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww - thanks Mason!! You're so kind :) Thanks so much - I appreciate the lovely words and the award!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on all the awards. And you have neat handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SQUEALLLLLLLLLL (sorry, ever since I started associating "Squee" with "pee" I have trouble saying it)

    Thanks for the award! I see an awards show coming up soon....suddenly my closet is overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful mish mash of ideas, congratulations on the awards and I loved the doodle. Is the song- In the Air Tonight by Genesis- at least I think that is the title- and the show Miami Vice? I love games like that, where you have to guess the song etc. Anyway, it was great reading this really eclectic blog today! It is always so interesting to stop by and see what is up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your fifth word - I use it often!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You may just be the award queen.

    Your printing is prettier than my cursive writing! And that's no doodle, that's art. Wow!

    What a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi all, thanks so much for your kind words. I can't believe everyone thinks my writing is nice. Sometimes even I can't read it. LOL

    Carolyn, you're right about the song and the TV program.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. I'm so pleased you liked my trailer series. Congrats, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Mason.

    You're blog is very valuable to readers like me. Congrats to you and those you've given awards/shout-outs to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. For some reason I don't come in to your blog often enough!! It is so delightful. This post today is a most wonderful hodgepodge, I'm going to have to bookmark this and come back tomorrow and maybe Monday. My weary brain can't take it all in tonight!

    And there are so many links to check out. This will keep me busy for awhile. Thanks!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your many awards. Congrats to all those you passed them on to.

    Cute dog doodle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mason, I am such a blonde writer... as you very much deserve that award, I am now also a follower! :D

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the awards! You deserve them for all you do to promote books and writers AND literacy. I love the literacy award, thank you so much for passing it to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mason, Great post. You sure packed a lot of goodies into this one. Congratulations on your awards and thanks so much for passing one along to me. Sorry to be so long in responding (you know why).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I stopped by because Clarissa posted the award you gave her and gave us your link. Now I'm following you.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, fantasy author

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I'm awful for just now getting to this...But what a cool meme! Thanks for sending it my way. I'll have to do some work for this one. :)

    I'm really glad I passed the Literacy Award on to you. Very deserving! Please forgive me for taking so long to respond.

    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your doodle - Doodle Dog :)
    Congrats on all your awards.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.