Tuesday, March 2, 2021

I Didn’t Run Away

I didn’t run away, honest, but I sort of fell down Alice’s rabbit hole. Sorry I’ve been AWOL (in this case, away without leaving a message).

All is good, thankfully no sickness or trouble caused the absence just …. well let me explain why and how I came to be down that rabbit hole for over a month.

First, if you read yesterday’s post you know I’ve been and am working with two awesome authors organizing virtual tours for them through MC Book Tours. The tours have been my number one project, but they aren’t why I fell into that hole.

I actually began gazing into the rabbit hole around Christmas when Santa brought me a Cricut Maker. I began learning how to make labels, decals and such by watching YouTube (that was the first step that led to so many more down the rabbit hole). From there I saw a video on finger knitting and made what I’d call a knitted chain that I used to wrap around a wreath just to see how it would look. Then I decided to use the wrapped wreath to make a Valentine’s Day decoration.

The finger knitting lead to trying my hand or I should say arm at arm knitting. That was fun but I quickly learned that the two skeins of yarn I had were not enough for a throw. When I went back to get more, there wasn’t any of the same color (at several stores I tried). That project was undone and put away for later.

In the meantime, I had learned a bit more about finger knitting and gave that a try again. This time I decided to go big and made a blanket/throw that measures a little over 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. As I was finishing that I started working with a small loom I’d gotten. My next project was what I call a shawl/scarf using that loom. That turned out to be 13 inches wide and 8 feet long. I’ve since started another one that is only 9 inches wide and probably won’t be as long as the first.

During all this I started helping a couple of people at work design and decorate one of our front store windows for spring. I saw a pattern online for a cute little birdhouse and decided to make some out of various colored scrapbook paper. I made 6 that we hung from the ceiling and 4 that I put on dowel rods and placed in containers of flowers I’d put together. We got the window done a few days after Valentine’s Day and I have to say I think it looks very “spring like.”

I’m now working on a wreath for the other window that we’ll do in a patriotic theme after St. Patrick’s Day. The wreath is to look like a flag and is made from wooden clothes pins that I’ve painted red, white, and blue and put on a wire wreath form. The blue pins will have some white stars on them. It’s amazing the things you can find when you google a project.

So, are you seeing how and why I fell down the rabbit hole and am just now starting to find my way out?

I have read several great books (two by one author, yeah Bloo Moose) during my time away. I hope to have reviews this week for two of the amazing authors. I’m also listening to Lisa Gardner’s latest release.

I forgot to mention the chalkboard I made from a mirror and a cute pillow cover I made using material featuring vintage cameras (another thing I’ve started collecting again). There is also the puzzle I put together and framed. The real treat is the 1955 Underwood manual typewriter I found at a thrift store. I beat the urge for three weeks before I went back and bought it. I can’t set the margins and the ribbon only tightens one way, but what fun it is to type on it. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the sound of the keys typing (and how hard they are to press).

I’ve been busy down in the rabbit hole. But, I think I’ve gotten the “crafting bug” under control and am slowly climbing out to get back into the blogging world.

Do you ever get carried away crafting or such and go from one project to another without stopping? We are thinking about giving hand poured soy candles as Christmas gifts this year so I might need to give that a try just to see how hard they are to make. And did I mention I’ve purchased all the material to do hanging macrame baskets like I did years ago? Oh, I got another fun idea from watching a YouTube Channel called White Cottage Company (you should check it out, it’s a great channel). I forgot to tell you about the water fountain I’m working on to put in my “secret” flower garden this spring.

Ah, I think I’m sliding back in the hole again…… Any suggestions on how to do all and not go AWOL again?

19 comments:

  1. Hi Mason - great to see you back ... and now understand your rabbit hole - I'm going to look into the possibility of trying one or two of these ideas. I'm not great at crafting - never have been ... but all the best to you - sounds like you've found that extra something to keep the creative juices happy: enjoy! Your chalkboard, the framed puzzle, and that typewriter - my gosh that hurts my fingers to think about! Great to catch up - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, thanks so much. I don't think I'm very good at crafting but I do enjoy it. And yes, the typewriter does make the fingers hurt a bit compared to typing on my laptop. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Goodness you have been busy. And creative. Which sounds like a win to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E.C., it's been fun trying new things and old things again.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have been crafty! And so many different projects. If you are still hooked on the knitting thing, hope you follow my friend Liz who has her own Etsy store. She'll give you a lot more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, thanks. I'd love to learn more about your friend Liz. If you get a chance could you send me a link to her store?

      Delete
  4. Wow, you have been busy! How fun! I started to paint a couple of pieces of furniture and it's quickly becoming an obsession ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid, you nailed it. It does become an obsession doesn't it. Watching the White Cottage Company videos I thought about trying my hand at repurposing some furniture but have stayed away from that so far. Good luck with your projects.

      Delete
  5. You are so creative, Mason! Those are beautiful things, and I love your eye for detail. I'm very glad to hear that you're arranging book tours, too; especially with Covid, virtual book tours are so important. Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, thank you so much for the kind words. I rarely think anything I create looks like it should. And you're so right, virtual book tours are important especially with the crazy times we're living in.

      Delete
  6. I love the wreath idea. It's pretty.

    We are puzzle nuts but I've never framed any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I thought the wreath was a neat idea. I enjoy putting puzzles together too. This was the first one I've framed in a long time. You should try it with your next puzzle. I can't wait to do another one.

      Delete
  7. Oh, the things you mention doing and planning sound like such fun. My daughter has given me the supplies and lessons to begin this week learning Crochet from her via Skype. I imagine that scheduling would be the only way to do what you need and what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lil, it has been fun. I think you'll enjoy crocheting. I can only do simple stitches but it's always fun. I do need to get a schedule organized to help me do all that I want to do. Be sure to let me know how your crocheting goes.

      Delete
  8. In this case, going down the rabbit hole is a GOOD thing! Look at all you have learned and created!!! I would say it is a giant WIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caren, I like your way of thinking. It was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  9. I was away for awhile too, so I understand how it is. So glad you're back, Pamela. Do your ears ring a lot? Your name has come out of my lips more times than I can count. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joylene, glad your back too. I know you've been busy for a good reason. :) Yes, my ears have been ringing a bit lately. LOL Take care my friend.

      Delete
  10. That's an amazing rabbit hole to fall down! You're so creative!!! All of my 'artsy' genes went to my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.