Saturday, November 30, 2013

Chickens in the Road by Suzanne McMinn


Chickens in the Road coverThis is one book that could fall under so many genres when listing it.

I discovered it listed under cookbooks and was immediately drawn to the cover and synopsis. What I found inside wasn’t exactly what I had expected, but so much more.

While there are tantalizing recipes for such dishes as Summer Vegetable Pie and Apple Dumplings, author Suzanne McMinn offers up much more. She includes helpful hints and DIY craft projects such as beeswax lip balm and soap recipes.

The most intriguing part of the book, however, is McMinn’s journey from romance writer to farmer. She tells how she packed up and moved her family to Stringtown Rising Farm, a place that didn’t even have a road to it.

McMinn describes the journey in vivid detail. She includes a good dose of humor with the difficult and good times giving readers an inside look at how life was for her. An added bonus is numerous color photos depicting her life during this transformation.

Throughout the book, McMinn shares the good and the bad elements of her decision to move. While ill prepared at times, she faced the daily ups and downs with strength, determination and a sense of humor.

CHICKENS IN THE ROAD is an inspiring book of tackling one’s dreams and visions with wit, determination, and persistence. This is one cookbook that will have you laughing as you try out the tasty recipes and fun crafts.

Author Suzanne McMinn blogs at chickensintheroad.com

Chickens in the Road: An Adventure in Ordinary Splendor by Suzanne McMinn, HarperOne, @2013, ISBN: 978-0062223708, Hardcover, 320 Pages 

FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

Thanks for stopping by today. Have you ever thought about just up and moving to a farm or if you live on a farm have you ever thought about just leaving it all and moving to the city?

4 comments:

  1. Mason - This sounds like an interesting life story. I always have a lot of respect for people who follow their dreams like that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me a little of Farm City. Sounds like a great book. I moved from London to a farmhouse in Cornwall when I was in my 20s and it was so very different. Everything was much slower, we often had goslings wandering through our kitchen and the postman and milkman always stopped for a cup of tea before they went on their way. I have lots of fun memories.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mason. Thanks for sharing about this book. It sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I've had thoughts of moving to the country/starting a small farm, if I ever win the lottery. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely adding this on my must read list, thanks for letting me know about this!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.