Saturday, August 4, 2012

I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge


I Michael Bennett coverIf you like a story that ends with a nice tidy conclusion, this isn’t it.

But, if you’re looking for a story filled with suspense and heart-pounding action, then this is it.

Detective Michael Bennett of the NYPD helps take down Mexican drug lord Manuel Perrine. During the take down Bennett’s lifelong friend and fellow cop, Hughie McDonough, is killed and life as Bennett knows it changes forever.

Even after Perrine is incarcerated, he continues to run his drug operation and order hits on those involved in his trial. His main target is Bennett and his family. Bennett takes his 10 kids, their nanny Mary Catherine, and his grandfather Seamus to their vacation cabin near Newburgh to get away. But he soon learns Perrine’s long arm can reach any where when two of his sons are shot.

As the trial gets underway and the level of Perrine’s revenge escalates, the action gets more intense. When Perrine escapes, the adrenaline and suspense kicks into overdrive.

I, MICHAEL BENNETT is an intriguing story touching on how gangs and drug operations have a strong hold on the nation. This is an action filled story from beginning to end with a touch of romance thrown in along the way.

Told in a two-person narration form, the story comes to life through the voices of Bobby Cannavale and Jay Snyder. Each gives distinct voices to the characters they interrupt. Their accents and delivery of the lines heightens the emotions of the story.

This is the fifth installment in the Michael Bennett series, but stands on its own. While most books in a series leaves you a few clues at the end for the next installment, I, MICHAEL BENNETT leaves you breathless with a major cliffhanger. 

I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge, A Michael Bennett Novel, Performed by Bobby Cannavale and Jay Snyder, Hachette Audio, @2012, ISBN: 978-1607884644, 6 Discs, Listening Time: 7 Hours 30 Minutes


FTC Full Disclosure - This audio book was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

Do you like your stories to be concluded in a tidy fashion? Do you like stories that continue from one book to the next? Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a fun Saturday and remember to enjoy a book (even if for only a few minutes).

4 comments:

  1. I just finished this book and I do like my stories to have some kind of ending, but overall I enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - Oh, how interesting that two people do the narration in this story! I'm sure that makes the story more authentic. As to endings for stories, I don't mind if things aren't always "tied up neatly" when a story ends. I do like closure as the major aspects of the plot though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a story to have a start and an ending per book. I don't mind it when you have reoccurring characters, like Catherine Coulter's FBI thrillers, but when there is a trilogy and the middle book is nothing but filler, please spare me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series and am interested in it, for sure. I do like tidy endings, except when an open ending leads you on to the next book in the series.

    I enjoy most mysteries for the puzzles, the resolution, and the neat and tidy endings.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.