Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Author D.J. Starling: DÉJÀ VU, SHINING THRU



One of my great enjoyments in blogging is finding new authors and their work and then being able to share those finds with you (the wonderful people who read this blog).

Well, today I have another ‘new-to-me’ author to introduce you to and she’s joining us to talk about her book and her writing. D.J. Starling is the author of DÉJÀ VU. First, here’s a brief synopsis of the book.

       Focused on demanding careers that leave little time to cultivate meaningful relationships, Deanna Lewis and Josh Haber each sense a powerful connection at their first meeting. At the same time, Deanna is haunted by recurring and increasingly intense nightmares that threaten her well-being.
       When she finally accepts the help of her best friend, Faith—who believes she could supply an antidote for the horrifying dreams—an incredible scenario unfolds. Yet, when faced with the stunning past Faith uncovers, Josh refuses to accept the truth until a vintage keepsake clears the path to everlasting love. 

D. J. joins us now to talk about ‘DÉJÀ VU, SHINING THRU.’

Have you ever been curious about the possibility of having lived a past life? I was, and my curiosity led me to learn what I could about regression therapy, which sparked my writer’s imagination and planted the idea for DÉJÀ VU. What evolved is a modern day love story in which past life connections are discovered. As the tale unfolds, regression therapy connects the present day saga of Deanna and Josh to a dark and dangerous past as experienced by Rivka and David, a teenaged couple in the throes of young love, despite their unimaginable plight.

Unfortunately, regression therapy doesn’t always tie things together so neatly. That was clear soon after I began investigating this hypnotic technique, already wanting to experience it for myself. Each practitioner I spoke to stressed the point that not everyone can be hypnotized. It’s a common belief that while some peopleDEJA VU Cover consciously want to be regressed, something in their subconscious prohibits them from being put into a deep enough state of relaxation to allow them to let go of this reality. That happened to a friend who later said that although she felt more relaxed than ever during her session, she never felt like she’d been hypnotized.

Happily, I didn’t have any problem. Before my session began, I was told to think of a problem or challenge in this life that I wanted to address. My lifelong fear of falling from high places came to mind, and I explained how my anxiety had been paralyzing at times, making it impossible to step onto a down escalator, or go on a roller coaster with my family.

Once the practitioner began the procedure of putting me under, she led me to a beautiful meadow where I was instructed to climb the pole and see where I emerged. I felt my body being transformed, and even though part of my consciousness knew that I was in a psychologist’s office, most of me believed I was in Eastern Europe in the late 1300s. I lived in a castle, and while I wasn’t nobility, I wasn’t a servant either. Our castle was under attack and I was desperately trying to find a safe place to hide before the enemy found me. I ran through the castle, terrified. I could feel my heart racing. That’s when the psychologist intervened. 

Although she directed me to stay in that lifetime, she guided me through a change of perspective. Suddenly, I could see what was happening to me in that time period, but was removed enough that the terror was kept at bay. I could see that person—I knew it was me, but was it really?—as she ran through the castle, frantically trying to maintain a distance from the invaders. When she finally reached the end of a hallway, she was at the top of a steep staircase that led to another section of the castle. Suddenly, she tripped over her own feet and I saw her fall to her death. That’s when the psychologist gently brought me back to my present day reality, with my memories of that past life intact and on tape.

That’s something I’ve listened to more than once, and those closest to me have noticed the gradual, but significant reduction in my fears. Is it coincidence or is it fate? That’s another question you’ll be asking yourself after you read DÉJÀ VU, whenever you consider the people who come and go through your life.

D. J., thanks for joining us today and giving us this background. I’d say, you’ve definitely given us something to think about here.

Now let me tell you a little more about D. J.

D.J. Starling is a penname derived through a combination of a dream, an apparition, and fate. Instinct told Donna to embrace the moniker, and an author was born. Wisdom led her to recruit Marsha after they got acquainted in a writers’ workshop, and a productive partnership began.

An innate understanding of each other’s work enables them to rely on each other’s unique strengths, as well as distinctive personalities. They nurture their own ideas and brainstorm often, mining nuggets from their ramblings that they write and edit—together and separately. 

Coincidentally, although it was long before they knew each other, they both attempted their first novels while in the 4th grade. Since then, they’ve both learned that two heads really are better than one as they blend their literary voices to bring intriguing characters to life in compelling stories.

For more on the authors and their writing, visit their website, their Facebook page, DÉJÀ VU Facebook page, and find them on Twitter.

Thanks so much for stopping by today everyone. Have you ever been hypnotized? If so, how did it turn out? If not, have you ever wanted to be?

3 comments:

  1. D.J., thanks again for joining us. It's always fun learning background about a novel. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - Thanks for hosting D.J.

    D.J. - What a fascinating experience you must have had. Thanks for sharing it, and I wish you success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always impressed to see two writers team up and write a good story. Congratulations!

    I have various thoughts on the validity of regression and I can see where it would make for an interesting and fun story.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.