Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Frozen Heat by Richard Castle


I wasn’t sure what to expect listening to a book reportedly written by a T.V. character. I was, however, pleasantly surprised by the action and suspense that ended with me looking forward to the next installment.

Narrator Johnny Heller does a wonderful job bringing the characters toFrozen Heat cover life. He gives each their own distinct voice making it easy to keep up with the characters’ exchanges. His cadence will make you laugh at the humor and hold your breath when the suspense takes over.

NYPD Homicide Detective Nikki Heat is being shadowed by reporter Jameson Rook, who she is also romantically involved with. When an unidentified woman is found stabbed and frozen in a deliver truck, Heat gets the case. But when she discovers the woman is stuffed into her own dead mother’s suitcase, Heat’s investigation takes a drastic turn.

With Rook’s help, Heat begins to reinvestigate her mother’s murder, as well as the frozen woman’s. Learning the frozen woman was best friends with her mother leads Heat and Rook on a journey to Paris and back. Battling an incompetent captain, missing key pieces of evidence, and several attempts on her life, Heat is determined to find the killer of both women no matter the cost to herself.

The action is fast-paced filled with tension, suspense, a bit of romance, a touch of humor, and some surprising turns. The twist at the end brings the story to a close, but opens a lead for Heat and Rook’s next adventure.

The story is a good take-off from Castle. Many of the characters could be based on the characters of the show. If you’re a fan of the T.V. show Castle, then FROZEN HEAT is a must read (or listen). This is the four installment in the Nikki Heat series, but is a stand alone story.

Whoever author Richard Castle is, he’s done a terrific job with FROZEN HEAT.

Author Richard Castle’s website is www.richardcastle.net

Frozen Heat by Richard Castle, A Nikki Heat Novel, Read by Johnny Heller, Hyperion Audio, @2012, ISBN: 978-1401326302, Unabridged, 9 Discs, Listening Time: 11 Hours


FTC Full Disclosure - This audio book was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.
 
Are you a fan of the show Castle? If so, what elements draws you back each week? Has anyone else read any of the Nikki Heat series? Thanks so much for stopping by today.

7 comments:

  1. I am a fan of Castle! When Kindle had 2 of the Nikki Heat books on for one of their daily deals a few weeks ago, I picked them up. I'm reading one of them right now. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through and I agree - it's fun and has good twists. I like the humour. I especially love that the Castle character is Rook - made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - It's interesting when a television series is the inspiration for a book. Usually it's the other way around. I have to admit I've not seen Castle, 'though I've heard it's a good show. The book sounds interesting and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Castle (the tv show)! I think it's one of the few remaining intelligent shows left on television. I had no idea that the books are "real," though - I'll definitely have to check them out. Thank you for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely a Castle fan and I've read a couple of the books. I love the fact that they're books written by a fiction character in a TV show about the fictional character he created which was the premise for the TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big fan of the show Castle! I'll have to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read the first Nikki Heat book. I have the second one but just never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read the other Nikki Heat books and thoroughly enjoyed them. The first one was a little on the light side but books 2 & 3 are far more substantive. I'm sure, though, that it helps that I'm a fan of the TV series. I have also read the 3 Derrick Storm short stories that were released as eBooks over the summer. They were light, enjoyable fun reads.

    I have just started up a blog myself www.cloudsinmycoffee.co.uk and would love to get a review copy of the audiobook for my blog. Would you be able to email me danny@cloudsinmycoffee.co.uk with details of how you got sent a copy?

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.