Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Salon: Love Drunk Cowboy by Carolyn Brown

Another week has past us by and it’s time for Sunday Salon where we share our thoughts on the recent books we’ve read.

I’m still away from blogdom except for a brief period each day. I continue to be in awe of the wonderful support and concern y’all have shown. My mother-in-law continues to get a little stronger each day, we just have minor setbacks due to her Alzheimer’s but all is looking good.

Now I want to share a great new book by author Carolyn Brown. Sunday Salon may seem like a strange place to talk about a ‘drunk’ cowboy, but remember it’s best not to judge a book by it’s cover.

LOVE DRUNK COWBOY by Carolyn Brown

Every time I pick up a book by author Carolyn Brown, I find characters and places I want to visit time and time again. She has created another wonderful story that will hold you spellbound from the opening paragraph until the last sentence.

Austin Lanier is a rising executive at an oil company in Tulsa who stays busy with her career. When her grandmother (‘Granny’ Verline Lanier) dies, she leaves specific instructions on how Austin is to handle her funeral, as well as her estate.

When Austin arrives in Terral, she finds her grandmother’s elderly neighbor she’s been talking to each week is really a hunky cowboy her age. She also learns her grandmother did more than just raise watermelons.

Rye O’Donnell was fond of Granny Lanier and as soon as he saw her granddaughter, he was in love. Rye worried that Austin would settle Granny’s affairs and return to Tulsa.

As Austin learns more about her grandmother’s day-to-day business, she begins to find peace and enjoyment in the small town, not to mention a huge physical attraction to her sexy neighbor. The twists and turns Austin and Rye encounter on their way to each other makes for a delightful and entertaining read. Be sure your AC is working because the chemistry between these two will have your turning the cold air on high.

Another aspect of author Brown’s writing that appeals to me is the way she shows respect, love and honor for older citizens in her stories. She gives them spunk and grit, but she also has the younger generation appreciating their wisdom (even if they don’t agree) and showing respect, a vanishing trait.

LOVE DRUK COWBOY is all about a sexy, smooth-talking cowboy and a self-assured, career-minded city girl. But, it’s also filled with loyalty, family fun, and friendship. It’s a reminder that sometimes simpler is more fulfilling. Can’t wait to see what’s next in this new tantalizing series.

Author Carolyn Brown’s website is http://carolynlbrown.com/

Love Drunk Cowboy by Carolyn Brown, Sourcebooks Casablanca, @2011, ISBN: 978-1-4022-5358-4, Paperback, 416 pages


FTC Full Disclosure - I requested this book and it was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

What have you read this week? What about today, what’s that you’re reading now? BTW, has anyone ever tried watermelon wine? It sounds delicious. Thanks so much for stopping by. Hope to visit with you before long.

13 comments:

  1. Mason, I've been thinking about you guys and hoping things were going well. Good to hear that you mom-in-law is improving as best she can. Take care and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - Thanks for this edition of Sunday Salon. I'm glad you liked Love Drunk Cowboy, and it's interesting you would mention the respect issue. It's a big part of the way the elderly are treated in some cultures. Sadly, that's not the case in all cultures and with all people.

    Mostly, it's good to hear your mother-in-law is making progress. Lots of thoughts and good wishes heading your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds like a winner! Thanks for sharing. I, too, enjoy the multi-generational stories in some books. They feel like real life.

    I like the names of those characters, too...Rye and Austin.

    Hope your life smooths out for you. The things you are dealing with are really stressful. Hang in there!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your mother-in-law is getting better. We've missed you, Mason!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad things are improving.

    Loved the book review. Sounds incredibly romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like things are progressing with you. Remarkable that you are still able to keep up with the blog. Sending you warm thoughts... Hope things continue to progress for all.

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mason .. thanks for the update - hope life sorts itself out reasonably comfortably for you all ..

    The book sounds a raunchy read with a lot of interesting twists and turns - enticing review .. thank you .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear of your family struggles. I hope the improvement continues. Thinking of you.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry progress is slow, but it is progress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a movie in the making! I've been reading Sue Grafton mysteries (A to Z) but am without any at the moment. In fact I'm not reading right now, I'm behind on editing and such and so I'm forcing myself to withdraw from pleasure reading until I finish all this work. All the best for you and your mom in law.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually stick to contemporary mysteries, but one of my book clubs foisted an Erle Stanley Gardner on us and I'm now enjoying The Case of the Beautiful Beggar.

    I'm now worried that I'll be drawn back to read all of the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mason,
    Thank you for such an AWESOME review of Love Drunk Cowboy! And prayers coming your way for your struggles!
    And Karen...from your lips to the movie maker mongels ears! I would absolutely squeal if they made a movie of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear your mother-in-law is better!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.