Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Imagination … What Is It?


What comes to mind when you see or hear the word imagination?

ImaginationWhile I’m sure everyone would think something different, the foundation would be the same - it’s what your mind/brain creates.

But how does our mind create these images? Why can 2 people look at the same thing and image completely different things? What causes a person to have more imagination than another? Why do some people seem to have no imagination at all?

I’m sure there have been and will continue to be thousands of studies and tests to determine the answers to these and other questions about imagination.

Imagination propels our existence. Without imagination there would be no inventions. Without imagination, what would our future look like?

Imagination is a must for a writer in my opinion. It’s what spurs the writer to create the stories they create. A lot of writing is based solely on the author’s imagination with little or no reality involved.

I began to think about imagination and what fuels it while listening to my mother-in-law. She will soon be 91 years old and has Alzheimer’s. What little I know about this terrible disease is that it causes the person to digress to their younger self. They live in the past when they were children or young adults. They sometimes don’t recognize their own grown children because to them the children haven’t been born or they are only infants. The also relive events from their past.

My mother-in-law has these symptoms. But she also talks to people no one in the family has ever heard of. At times she also thinks events are taking place that she never experienced before such as the house burning or a child drowning. She sometimes carries on conversations with people as one does when they’re young and create imaginary friends to play with.

I guess my ramblings today are to say those who have imaginations seem to have them with them from birth to death. At various stages of our life we use our imaginations in different ways. However, it’s always there whether we use it or allow it to lay dormant. And at some point with this terrible disease, the imagination can take over becoming the reality without us ever realizing it.

Do you make an effort each day to use your imagination? Do you remember the fun you had as a child when you put your imagination to work? Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you take time to enjoy a good book today.

7 comments:

  1. I went through the tragedy of Alzheimer's with my mom. I didn't think of what went on with her as imagination, more just the random assembly of thoughts, memories, and things heard or seen. But perhaps that is imagination.

    You have my sincere sympathy for your mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I saw a story on the national news last night about Alzheimer's...that they're trying to move forward with some treatment that looks promising. Such a tragic illness.

    I think imagination is incredibly powerful and important. It helps to transport us...and through our stories, we can transport others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mason - I have so much respect for you as you work with your mother-in-law. Alzheimer's is a terrible thing and I wish you all well.
     
    As to imagination, I think we all have the capacity to set ourselves free with imagination. It's extraordinarily powerful and it drives writers, visual artists, musical artists and innovative business experts. Society encourages children to have imagination but very often it's harder for adults to have that spontaneous access to that tool. I think we have to work at it, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alzheimers is so tough. Prayers for you all.

    My imagination is always out of control--always has been. :)

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alzheimer is scarier for me than cancer. My grandfather died that way, not being able to say goodbye and his family not being able to say their goodbyes. I'm really sorry that you're going through that.

    I value my imagination. I wouldn't give it up ever. I really hope I don't lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your mother-in-law. I wonder if through the imagination those things are real to them later or like a dream? Scary thought to be trapped inside a dream forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mason .. it's so sad as Alzheimer's creeps up on everyone - so my thoughts are with you all.

    I love my imagination .. it probably runs too wild, but it's great to know it's there .. I wonder if that's why I'm very self-sufficient?

    Creativity is such a joy .. with thoughts to you and the family .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.