Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Author Mary Wine Talks About Character Building

Delightful author Mary Wine returns to Thoughts in Progress today as the special guest blogger as she makes a stop on her virtual book tour for the latest installment in her Highland series.

Mary’s latest release is HIGHLAND HEAT. Here’s a brief synopsis:  Ruined, Betrayed and Banished…
As brave as she is impulsive, Deirdre Chattan’s tendency to follow her heart and not her head has finally tarnished her reputation beyond repair. But when powerful Highland Laird Quinton Cameron finds her, he doesn’t care about her past—it’s her future he’s about to change.


But It’s Never Too Late for Redemption…
From the moment Quinton sets eyes on Deirdre Chattan, rational thought vanishes. For in her eyes he sees a fiery spirit that matches his own, and he’ll be damned if he’ll let such a wild Scottish rose wither under the weight of a nun’s habit…


With nothing to lose, Deirdre and Quinton band together to protect king and country. But what they accomplish alone is nothing compared to what they can build with their passion for each other…


Thanks to Mary and Danielle at Sourcebooks, I have 2 copies of HIGHLAND HEAT to giveaway to 2 lucky visitors that comment on this post between now and 8 p.m. (EST) on Tuesday, April 5. The giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian residents only. Be sure to include your e-mail with your comment if it’s not included in your profile.

Mary has answered some questions for me concerning her writing and her current release.

Mason - In what order do your characters come to life - name, physical description, or personality?

Mary - I’d say its personality first. I feel them, hear them and then get a look at them. As strange as it sounds, I get a very deep feeling about my characters. If they are sad, I’m misty eyed, if they are longing for something…I’m crazy until I write it out. It’s their plight which reaches out to me. Maybe I’m a nurturer at heart because I have to write that book in order to take care of them.

Mason - Of the three elements mentioned in question 1, which is the easiest to develop and which is the hardest?

Mary - Well, I’m not sure any of them is hard because when
they form in my imagination, they are there. What takes the effort is moving them to the happy ending I want, a few of these Highlanders like to argue with me about that! I’m not just talking about the men either. Deirdre Chattan didn’t want to trust again. She dug her heels in and just refused to budge, now Quinton was doing a grand job of that himself and for a few chapters it felt like the pair were in a ‘last man standing’ competition. Of course, that just made it better when they both fell. Insert satisfied grin.

Mason - How would you encourage someone who has never read historical romance to give it a try?

Mary - I’ve always loved history. They way they lived, the things those folks endured which I wouldn’t want to suffer through. They did so with a grace which enthralls me. The human spirit can rise up and do amazing things. When I write a historical, I try to give you the story of that spirit, that sense of rising above the details and things which try to cage us in. Everyone of us is surrounded by necessities and things we have to get done…reading a historical is a wonderful way to get a grip on all those pressing concerns and boil it down into something you can tackle when the time comes.

Mason - What can readers look for next from you?

Mary - I’m taking myself to Victorian England and beyond for a Steam Punk Romance. Steam Punk is Victorian Science Fiction. I’m building a world of stern manners and technology while writing a wonderful romance. In August, MY FAIR HIGHLANDER will hit the readers hands too. Drop by my website for excerpts and details.

Mary, thanks so much for guest blogging today. It’s interesting learning how your characters come to life.

A bit of background on Mary. She is a multi-published author in romantic suspense, fantasy and western romance; now her interest in historical reenactment and costuming has inspired her to turn her pen to historical romance. She lives with her husband and sons in southern California, where the whole family enjoys participating in historical reenactments. For more information on Mary and her writing, visit her website at http://www.marywine.com.

What are your thoughts on historical romance? Do you enjoy books where the characters seem to come to life?


9 comments:

  1. Mason- wonderful interview- the book sounds very interesting. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great interview, Mason. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when the characters come to life. The books take me to a different place/time living as someone else. And because it's a romance, there is usually a happy ending. =)

    tiredwkids at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, thanks again for guest blogging here today and giving us background on how your characters come to life. Wishing you much success with your writing.

    Summer, thanks for the kind words. HIGHLAND HEAT is an interesting read that transports you to a different time and place.

    Linda, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

    Shannon, that is the fun part of reading - going on a trip without the hassle of packing. :) I'm all for happy endings too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Characters make the story for me and historicals are an interesting way to learn a little history and follow new characters. Thanks for the interview, Mason!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary's story sounds like a good one. I do enjoy historical romance, being taken away to another place and time.
    mce1011 AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Characters really make the book for me. I want them to be interesting and memorable. When I'm finished with the book, I want to be sorry I have to say good-bye! I enjoyed the interview and look forward to reading Mary's book. Thanks. (Email in profile.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read lots of romance and adore stories set in Scotland so this is right up my street. I love history and passion and politics all mixed up together.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love historical romances, especially when situated in Scotland (Highland)that I once visited.
    This book of Mary is certainly the kind I appreciate.
    Thank you Mary and Mason for the post.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.