Here’s a brief synopsis of this 432-page paperback: “A ruthless killer hides in plain sight, someone no one believes is capable of murder. Within a week, six women will be murdered, all punished for their dark pasts. Detective Dani Cole is determined to track down this serial killer whose victims include a young woman she pulled out of a life of crime. Her investigation leads her to a photography foundation and the renowned photographer Mitch Sheridan, a man she she fell in love with years ago but has tried to forget. Dani and Mitch are instantly attracted to each other again, though their troubled pasts keep them from getting too close. Together, through the course of the investigation, they unearth a dark chain of deception that leads to a killer who is closer than they think.”
Here are five fun facts about LAST TO DIE:
1. Mitch Sheridan, the hero in LAST TO DIE, was originally the hero in a romance Kate wrote when she was still an author-in-search-of-a-genre.
2. When investigating the possibilities for an acid for a villain to use, Kate had to “come clean” with colleagues in the department of chemistry at the university where she taught, and reveal that in her other life, she wrote novels.
3. Kate didn’t intend to have a dog in this book but gave one to Dani, the heroine, after her own beloved and elderly dog passed away. Dani needed a softer side, Kate was apparently feeling lonely for her, and besides, what better way to show heart than to adopt a beat-up pit bull?
4. The physical building on which the JMS Foundation is based is an actual castle in the town where Kate grew up. When she was a kid, it was a family home, and they were in awe that it had a legitimate ballroom. Now, it’s a fine arts facility known as The Arts Castle.
5. Mitch’s car, a pearl-white 1968 Barracuda, has been sitting in Kate’s garage for years. It’s the project-car she bought her husband for their first anniversary. He works on it whenever time allows — about every other Father’s Day.
Check out the evidence box
A little background on Kate. She began writing fiction when her doctoral research became tedious. For years, she wrote in the closet, penning several novels that—thankfully—remain there. Now, she leads a double life. Some days, she’s a choral conductor and professor of music education. Other days, she plays with imaginary people on her computer.
Kate lives in Atlanta with her husband, two children, and an array of furry, feathery, and scaly things. When she has time to read, her nose is most often found in a police story or gourmet cooking magazine! She is currently working on her next novel. Her website is http://www.katebrady.net/
Now for the giveaway. Thanks to Anna and the Hachette Book Group, I have 5 copies of LAST TO DIE (ISBN: 9780446541534) to giveaway. To enter this giveaway, just send me an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Win LAST TO DIE” in the subject line and include your name and mailing address in the body of the e-mail. This contest is only open to residents of the U.S. and Canada and no post office box addresses can be accepted. In addition, Hachette is advising winners that they will be subject to the one copy per household rule, which means that if they win the same title in two or more contests, they will receive only one copy of the title (or one set in the case of grouped giveaways) in the mail. (Winners here have always be great about letting me know if they have already won the book somewhere else so another winner can be selected. However, this announcement is something that has to be passed along from Hachette). The deadline to enter this contest for a chance at one of 5 copies is 8 p.m. (EST) on Friday, Oct. 1.
NOW FOR ANOTHER GIVEAWAY
Today only, Friday, Sept. 17, comment for a chance to win a copy of The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown.
This link is only good for 24 hours.