Monday, July 19, 2010

Why Don't I Have A Method?

Is there a method to my madness?

Last night when I went to write this post I realize I really don’t have a theme or purpose for this blog. My method is just a mixture of things I enjoy. I know the focus is books/reading, but beyond that?

Some blogs focus solely on providing book reviews and author interviews, some focus on writing tips and helpful information, while others provide information on writing challenges and contests. For me I provide some book reviews, author guest blogs/interviews, book giveaways, rambles about whatever is on my mind, and hopefully passing along helpful information for authors. With that in mind I have some information to pass along and then giveaway winners to announce.

Penguin Books invites you, the readers of this blog, to join the celebrated mystery author, Tana French, for a chat at the Penguin Water Cooler on Tuesday, July 20th at 1:30 PM ET, hosted here on the Penguin USA website!

Penguin Books asked that I tell you about this exciting event that no thriller fan and mystery-lover will want to miss . . . the opportunity

to chat with Tana on the heels of the publication of her hotly anticipated third novel, FAITHFUL PLACE (Viking; on-sale: July 13, 2010).

With two novels (both New York Times bestsellers) under her belt, Tana French has certainly made a name for herself among American psychological mystery readers—not to mention readers who just enjoy a great story that’s beautifully told. Her first novel, IN THE WOODS, won a slew of prestigious mystery prizes: the Edgar, Anthony, and Macavity, and the Barry awards for Best First Novel. As with IN THE WOODS, critics took note of THE LIKENESS, declaring that “The Likeness [is] a book even better than the first, which was very good indeed. . . . The suspense is gut-grinding, but it may hurt more to know who did it. That’s an awful dilemma—and a wonderful book.” (New York Daily News)

Now, she’s back, this time focusing on Frank Mackey, the hard-edged, straight-shooting and fearless boss whose insane, brilliant idea for Cassie to go undercover lent The Likeness its intriguing premise.  FAITHFUL PLACE (Viking; strict on-sale: July 13, 2010; 432 pages; $25.95; 978-0-670-02187-1) takes Frank Mackey back to 1985, when he was nineteen, growing up poor in deter
Dublin’s inner city, and in love with his neighbor on Faithful Place, Rosie Daly. Unlike so many members of the large, poor Catholic families that share their neighborhood, Frank and Rosie have bigger dreams. They hatch a plan to escape one night and depart for London, never to return to Faithful Place or the anguish of poverty and abuse of their families. Except Rosie doesn’t show up, and in her place Frank reads a letter that leads him to believe that she’s abandoned him instead. He leaves Faithful Place on his own, mined never to come home again.

Twenty-two years later, Frank, the grizzled head of his own police squad, gets a call from one of his sisters. She is frazzled and barely able to get the words out that a suitcase has been recovered behind a fireplace in the same abandoned house where Frank was supposed to meet Rosie so many years before. By the time Frank arrives at Faithful Place, the case has been identified as belonging to Rosie.

Frank is immediately sucked back into the dark tangle of relationships he left behind so long ago: alcoholism, wife-beating, the most profound emotional abuse imaginable. The cops working the case want Frank out of the way, and Frank finds himself caught between the woman he loved and the family he has spent his adult life denying.

Be sure to meet Tana French, well at least meet her virtually, via the live online chat at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow.

Now, drum roll please…..I have winners to announce. First, I like to say thanks to everyone who entered the contest. Wish everyone

could have won. Be sure to check back often for new book giveaways.

Those winning a copy of Dee Davis' DANGEROUS DESIRES are Cheryl S. of Pennsylvania, Jane C. of New York, Cindy W. of Indiana, Chantel W. of Canada, and Cheryl K. of Illinois.

Winning a copy of Jemeker Thompson-Hairston's QUEEN PIN are Jonnie H. of Canada, Tabathia B. of North Carolina, and Margie T. of Minnesota.

Winning a copy of Michele Andrea Bowmen's MORE CHURCH FOLK are Eleanor H. of Pennsylvania, Pearl E. of New Mexico, and Linda D. of Oklahoma.

Those winning a copy of Nelson DeMille's THE LION are Dawn M. of Oklahoma, Cheryl M. of Canada, and Heather J. of Florida.

Winning a copy of James Patterson and Maxine Paetro's PRIVATE are Julia H. of Minnesota, Cheya W. of Utah, and Andrea V. of Rhode Island.

Winning a copy of Joshilyn Jackson's BACKSEAT SAINTS are Stephanie H. of Virginia, Beth M. of New Jersey, and Karen K. of Pennsylvania.

Congratulations to all of these winners. Thanks so much for enjoying good books. Later this week I hope to have more books reviews and the wonderful author Marilyn Meredith will be guest blogging here Wednesday. She’ll be talking about her latest book, a re-release of LINGERING SPIRIT.

I’ve concluded, there is no method to my madness. I just love books, reading and anything that goes with them.



23 comments:

  1. First that picture up on top freaks me out (shudder).

    Second...thanks for the scoop on Tana French

    And third, a big hearty Congrats to all the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need a method? I think it is nice that you provide a range of posts - it keeps things interesting.

    Congratulations to all the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the winners!

    I think your theme is "book related." Whatever it is, it works for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki, sorry about the photo freaking you out. It does say 'mad' doesn't it.

    Cassandra, thanks. I hope I keep things interesting.

    Elizabeth, thanks. I definitely want to keep it 'book related' even when it's just my zany thoughts. Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mason - Congratulations to your winners!

    And as far as method goes? I agree with Elizabeth; your blog is book-related. That's what really matters : ). I always learn so much when I stop by here. Speaking of which...thanks for the reminder about the chat with Tara French.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice opportunity Penguin is providing. I read Tana's first book and loved it.

    And I'd agree with the others that your blog is definitely book and reading focused. It touches upon different aspects, from news to reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try to remember the Tana French chat! Congratulations to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, that picture is super spooky. Brrr.

    Congrats to all the winners! And Ii haven't read the book yet, but thanks for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog, Mason. Don't change a thing. When I visit I know you will have something here about books and reading. That's plenty theme enough, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to the winners.
    And you DO have a method to your madness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever you're doing works and is interesting! :-D

    Sounds like an interesting book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your method :)

    Congrats to the winners! And thanks for the link for Tana's chat :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do have a method, you are a book reviewer and host and interview writers. Don't change a thing!!! I like it just the way it is.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks all for stopping by and for the words of encouragement. I hope I provide useful information here. Be sure to check out Tana's chat tomorrow. If you stop by today, you can sign up for a reminder for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your book-loving, author-promoting blog! That's all you need, who cares about a method, just the madness of a book-loving blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think method is overrated *shifty* I MOSTLY write about writing, but that extends into a lot of different areas, so like you... mix it up a little. I find the posts that seem most popular are either the really helpful (I think because people are so SHOCKED to find it from ME) or the downright bizarre ones... Keep 'em guessing-that's my motto. Except on Thursday, then we get naked.

    THANK YOU for the broadcast link! Being a brand new mystery writer for Penguin, I think that might do me some good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who cares about the method when the madness is so much fun?

    Congrats to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to all the winners!

    And thanks for French info. I have a friend who was just talking up In the Woods. Looks like I have some catching up to do if her third one is releasing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Methods are overrated anyway. I usually deviate from them in no time. ANd I love books too. You do a great job of promotion. Have a great week.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a houseguest coming in town tomorrow, so I probably won’t be able to join in on the chat though I’d really like to. I enjoyed Tana’s first two books and I’m looking forward to reading the third.

    Congratulations to all your winners!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks again everyone for stopping by today. It's encouraging that all of you don't mind my method of madness.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I think of book reviewsm, author interviews, and guest posts I think of your blog, so you do have a theme. You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mason, I like blogs that mix things up. As long as they give good content-which yours does. So, keep free forming it. It works for you! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.