Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Salon: Something Borrowed, Something Bleu by Cricket McRae

When I first read the blurb for Something Borrowed, Something Bleu I was  intrigued. A cryptic suicide note delivered two decades late and a mission to find what had happened. Who wouldn't want to know more?

Sophie Mae Reynolds is busy with her homemade bath  product business and preparing to marry the love of her life, Det. Barr Armbrose. Her biggest worry is trying to keep her mother, Anna Belle Watson, from interfering in the wedding arrangements. Sophie wants simple, Anna Belle has other plans.

A frantic early morning call from Anna Belle has Sophie returning to her hometown of Spring Creek, CO. Seems Anna Belle has just received a suicide note from Sophie’s brother, Bobby Lee, who hung himself 18 years ago. The letter had been addressed to Bobby Lee’s girlfriend at the time, Tabby Atwood. Sophie’s Mom received it marked “Return to Sender.”

When Sophie arrives in Spring Creek she goes to visit Tabby, who is now married to Joe Bines, Bobby Lee’s best friend. The Bines operate a dairy and Tabby gives cheese making lessons.

As Sophie begins to make inquires about the events prior to her brother’s death, she uncovers more questions than answers. A murder occurs and Sophie believes it’s related to her brother’s death or at least the events surrounding his suicide, as well as two cold case deaths.

There are just enough surprises along the way to keep you guessing until the truth is revealed in a climatic heart-pounding conclusion. You’ll be on the edge of your seat as Sophie comes face to face with the killer and finally finds why her brother killed himself.

Something Borrowed, Something Bleu is the fourth installment in the Home Crafting Mystery Series, but is a stand alone book. Having not read the previous books in the series I wasn’t left out in the dark wondering about something that had happened in the other books. But after discovering Sophie and her trait for solving mysteries, I’ll be looking for the other three books in the series.

Author Cricket McRae gives readers a fast pace, smooth flowing story filled with helpful cheese making tips and delicious menus. For those bitten by the cheese bug, there are complete cheese making recipes on the author’s website (http://www.cricketmcrae.com)

Once you begin reading Something Borrowed, Something Bleu, it’ll be hard to put it down, except maybe to reach for a piece of cheese and a cracker, and quickly return to see what Sophie’s got herself into now.

Cricket McRae blogs at Hearth Cricket and her website is www.cricketmcrae.com

Something Borrowed, Something Bleu by Cricket McRae, Midnight Ink, @2010, ISBN: 978-0-7387-1996-2, Paperback, 278 pages


FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the author in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Mason .. sounds very intriguing .. I love books interspersed with food stories .. so this sounds 'fun' to say the least .. a good read - keeping us in thrall .. I shall definitely keep an eye open .. Thanks for telling us about it .. and the Home Crafting Mystery Series .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking murder stories are pretty popular right now. Not sure if it is related to the Foodie craze. But it makes sense. I would think sharp knives would be involved.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cozies and this sounds like a good one. I want to know about that suicide note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cozies and this sounds like a good one. I want to know about that suicide note!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mason - Sounds like an interesting book. I always think those "murders-from-the-past" that are related to the present make for fascinating stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great Sunday Read. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cricket is a fellow Midnight Ink author and great person as well as being a great writer! I love her books and can't wait to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I love theme mysteries. The cover is great too....

    Thanks Mason.... I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilary, this was my first introduction to the series and I enjoyed it very much. Hope you will too.

    Stephen, in this case no sharp knives but a lot of smelly cheese and a glass bottle of cream.

    Kathy, the suicide note was one of the things that drew me in. I had as many questions about it as Sophie did. LOL

    Margot, you're right. Murders from the past tied to present murders is fascinating. Keeps one guessing.

    Mary, hope you enjoy it.

    Elizabeth, I'm looking forward to reading the previous books in Cricket's series. Can't wait to see what all Sophie has gotten into before.

    Lou, the cover is very catchy. Theme mysteries as always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I really really want this book. I have to read this book. There is no hope for my TBR pile. No hope.

    Great writing, Mason. You pulled me in.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great twist the author uses, having that note show up 18 years later! That intrigues me in itself, where had that note been all those years ... hmmm ... yes, I'd want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa, talk about being pulled in - wait until you start reading it. You won't want to put it down.

    Joanne, I was surprised to find out where the note had been for all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mason, this sounds good--right up my allery! I would like to read it. I need to earn to read faster so I can read a book a day to get all these wonderful-sounding books you review. I like intrigue and fast-aced books. One that have you turning pages to find out what happens. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cricket is getting mentioned on many blogs these days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished this book yesterday and I agree with what you said about not having to read the other three, which I plan to do. This was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read the first book in this series. It was fun and the cheese making theme in this one sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, this is a great read that will keep you guessing until the end.

    Diane, Cricket is making the rounds with this interesting read.

    Dru, I'm looking forward to finding out what else Sophie has gotten into as far as solving crimes and her crafts.

    Janel, the other three books in the series sound as intriguing as this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oops...i put the comment in the wrong place! sorry! good review has me putting this on my wish list! will try and go delete the misplaced comment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohmagosh, everyone! I'm sorry to be weighing in so late -- I've been on vacation and hadn't realized Mason had reviewed Something Borrowed, Something Bleu on Sunday until I finally checked in online today. Thanks for all your kind words, and thanks for the review, Mason!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love variety in a blog, it makes it so much more interesting. I'm glad I found yours now, it wouldn't show on your profile when I clicked your username.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.