Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Marilyn Meredith, Guest Blogger

It is my pleasure to welcome award-winning author Marilyn Meredith back to Thoughts in Progress as a guest blogger on her tour of the blogosphrere.

Marilyn, who writes two amazing series, is here to today to talk about a book that is a little different and more personal than what she normally writes. In addition, she has an unusual contest she’s running during her tour. Be sure to check at the end of the post for all the contest details. Marilyn, tell us about your latest book, Lingering Spirit.

First, let me say I feel so privileged to be on Mason Canyon’s blog once again. Thoughts in Progress is a great blog with so many interesting topics—and Mason is so faithful about checking out other people’s blogs and leaving comments. I truly appreciate that thoughtfulness.

Today I thought I’d write about the supernatural aspects of my latest book, Lingering Spirit.

Basically a romance, this story is based on a true happening in my family—a tragic event. My son-in-law, whom I loved like my own son—was killed in the line of duty, leaving my daughter a widow and three little boys without a father.

Though this event and some of what transpired after were the basis of the story I wrote, it is not my daughter’s story. The characters in the book are much different in looks and personality than anyone in real life. It is a fiction.

What did happen, in real life, which I built on in my story, is my son-in-law’s spirit did not leave this world immediately. Several things happened to make us know this.

I stayed home to babysit my youngest grandson and a family friend’s little girl while everyone went off to the viewing the night before the funeral. I was sitting in a place where I could see the

front and back door. The kids were in the back of the house. The little girl came out and said, “There’s a big man in your daughter’s bedroom.” I didn’t go see, I knew it wasn’t a flesh and blood person, but that it was my son-in-law’s spirit. And no, no man ever came out of that part of the house.

When everyone came back for refreshments after the viewing, my son-in-law’s radio came on in the garage, blaring the country music he liked to listen to. The garage had to be unlocked so the radio could be turned off.

Several nights both my daughter and her boys felt someone kissing them on the cheek.

I definitely believe in Heaven and I know in my heart that’s where my son-in-law is now. But he died an unexpected and violent death, and I think it took his spirit awhile before it was ready to leave his family.

Whether or not you believe in such things doesn’t matter, but now you know why I wrote this book.

Marilyn, thank you so much for including Thoughts in Progress on this tour. There are many things that happen that we are unable to explain especially when it involves a loved one who has died. Thank you for sharing this.

Marilyn is the author of nearly thirty published novels, including the award winning Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series, the latest Dispel the Mist from Mundania Press. Under the name of F. M. Meredith she writes the Rocky Bluff P.D. crime series, An Axe to Grind is the latest from Oak Tree Press.

In addition, she is a member of EPIC, Four chapters of Sisters in Crime, including the Internet chapter, Mystery Writers of America, and on the board of the Public Safety Writers of America. Visit her at http://fictionforyou.com and her blog at http://marilymeredith.blogspot.com

Now for the contest guidelines: Have you ever dreamed of being immortalized in print? Well, here’s your chance! Marilyn is running a contest during her LINGERING SPIRIT Virtual Book Tour, which runs through July 30th. Marilyn will name a character in her next Rocky Bluff P.D. book after a reader who comments on the most blog stops during her virtual book tour. The next Rocky Bluff P.D. book is currently scheduled to be released in 2012. Leave a comment here and check out her blog to find the other stops on her tour in your quest to get your name in Marilyn’s next Rocky Bluff P.D. book. 


Just found out there is a book trailer for LINGERING SPIRIT so I'm adding it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3qYnNmzzAw



23 comments:

  1. Thanks Mason for sharing this and thanks Marilyn for sharing your thoughts. This sounds like it might have been a fairly hard book to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unusual! I'm amazed she was able to take such events and turn them into a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, thanks again for stopping by and sharing your story with us. Best of luck with LINGERING SPIRIT.

    Cassandra and Alex, thanks for stopping by. I agree, this probably was a hard book for Marilyn to write in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mason and Marilyn for sharing these thoughts and experiences. I'm sorry for your family's sad loss, and think that so often the best writing comes from a very emotional place that reaches out to the reader. Best wishes with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn, I have a feeling this book will be very moving. Your story of your son-in-law certainly was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, Mason, thank you for having me. This is such a great blog.

    Writing this story actually helped me with the grieving process, partly because changing what happened to fiction seemed to be healing for me.

    I do want you all to know this happened a long time ago, my daughter remarried--no, not another law enforcement officer--and they now have a nearly grown daughter.

    Thank you Cassandrajade, Alex, Joanne, Karen and Helen for your kind words.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilyn, it's quite moving reading your words here. I had similar experiences when my mother died.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Mason and Marilyn. This sounds like a great book - one I would definitely want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing - such a heart-warmning story in spite of the tragic circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Carol, my husband's mother visited him when she died, as did a cousin.

    Talli and Jemi, thanks for your kind words.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this painful memory. God Bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorite articles from Marilyn's tour. Of course, I've seen them already, but you others will have to follow along the rest of the way to see what else is said about this fabulous book.

    Readers can stop at Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3qYnNmzzAw - to check out the video trailer for this book that was posted a few days ago.

    Thanks for hosting Marilyn. It's bloggers like you that make this job so wonderful.

    All my best,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very moving ... thak you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hearing these events made into a story is amazing. I'm with Laura in Paris, very moving indeed!!

    I love these guest bloggers, it's always nice when they stop by... even better when the re-visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The video Cheryl made for the book is also on my website http://fictionforyou.com/.

    And thank you, Laura in Paris and Jen.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marilyn,
    I'm following you around today and enjoying your posts about your new book. I'm excited to read it one of these days. I have a current stack people have submitted for review that I'm trying to weed through. :( I need more hours in the day.

    I so believe your story about your SIL's spirit. My father, may he finally rest in peace, made my mother promise not to sell the house if he passed away. My sisters and I convinced her she needed a fresh start as he passed in the den and she couldn't escape the images of finding his body.

    Anyhow...my father's spirit lived with Wanda, the new occupant for almost a year after Mom sold the house and moved. We joke about him living with another woman, but your story brought back a ton of memories...all pleasant. From the strange questions Wanda asked my mother, we all knew it wasn't just something she imagined. Hmmm, maybe I should write a book. *smile*

    Thank you for sharing the impetus behind your story. And Mason...I'd love the opportunity to be on your blog. I've just discovered it today and I'm going to add you to my blog roll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your story about you father's spirit, Ginger. Thanks for sharing.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting story, Marilyn. It always fascinates me to hear authors talk about how they came to write a story.

    Wish you the best with Lingering Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got this one! It went missing for a bit, but I've recovered it unscathed. I'm 160 pages away from being able to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that was a powerful blog .... best wishes for the success of Lingering Spirit. And for your daughter and her three kids.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Sia.

    So glad you found the book, Vicki.

    Thank you for the best wishes. Actually daughter has four kids--she had three (remember Lingering Spirit is fiction)boys when her husband was killed, when she remarried, she had number 4.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Mason, for having Marilyn as a guest blogger. I've had the pleasure and privilege of meeting Marilyn, and she is a true inspiration to aspiring writers.

    Thanks, Marilyn, for sharing the story that inspired your fictional tale, and my condolences over the loss of your dear son-in-law. No matter how many years pass, loved ones never leave your heart or memory.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.