Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Smidgen of Bookishness

I wasn’t sure what to title this post since I have a smidgen of this and that to cover and it all relates to books.

Hopefully this has caught your attention. First I want to say a special

thanks to Kathleen at From Cop to Mom and the Words in Between for presenting Thoughts in Progress with The Versatile Blogger Award. I’m honored to receive the award from her. Kathleen has a great blog and if you haven’t stopped by, please do so. She has years of experience in law enforcement and shares her knowledge of police work and true crime. Thanks again Kathleen.

This award came with some rules. I’m to share 7things about myself and pass the award onto 15 other bloggers. I’ll make the 7 things short: 1) I’m cold natured. 2) I’m a natural blonde who loves blonde jokes (and can understand them). 3) Coffee with a touch of sugar is my favorite drink. 4) I enjoy listening to and watching the water but don’t care anything about going in. 5) I’m terrified of mice/rats/gophers. 6) The only instrument I can play to any degree is an Native American flute. 7) My lunch on Fridays usually is a Chocolate Mocha and Brownie from Starbucks. As to passing the award on, there are some many bloggers I’d like to include I’ll just leave it open to all who visit with no strings attached,

Now I have another review of an audio book. This time it was an abridged version. There are probably some detailed information that I missed, but story-wise I don’t think I did.

9th JUDGEMENT by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro

The Women’s Murder Club continues in the latest release from authors James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. San Francisco
Homicide Detective Lindsay Boxer and her partner, Rich Conklin, have been called to a double murder in a parking deck. The victims are a mother and her child. A cryptic anagram “WCF” has been left on the windshield in the victim’s lipstick.

Before they get very far into the case, they are pulled off to work on a high profile murder. The murder is reported to have been committed during a burglary by a cat burglar dubbed “Hello Kitty.” Hello Kitty targets wealthy residents hosting parties and makes off with their jewelry. During Hello Kitty’s last heist at the home of renowned actor Marcus Dowling, his wife was murdered when her jewelry was stolen. However, Hello Kitty and the reader/listener know Dowling killed his own wife after Hello Kitty escaped. Boxer and Conklin have their doubts about Dowling’s story from the beginning.

Meanwhile, the Lipstick Killer strikes again and again killing mothers and their children and always leaves a cryptic anagram. Readers/listeners find out who Hello Kitty is, as well as the Lipstick Killer and how their lives cross.

Readers/listeners are taken on an action-packed ride going from one crime scene to the next. The audio also includes sound effects that places the listener in the middle of the action.

Though I started listening to the audio with thoughts of the Women’s Murder Club television series in my mind, I quickly adjusted. Patterson and Paetro will keep your pulse racing with this tantalizing thriller. Though there is no secret as to who the murderer is, there are enough twists and turns to keep you guessing how it will end.

9th Judgement by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro, Hachette Audio, @2010, ISBN: 9781607881797, Audio, 5 Disc Abridged


FTC Full Disclosure - This book was sent to me by the Hachette Audio Group in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

I also want to give a quick update on the authors that will be visiting the first part of July. While other bloggers are updating and changing their blog designs, I’m running behind just updating the widgets I have on the side for information. Maybe I’ll get some changed before the holiday and the rest after.

Here’s are some of the authors that will be guest blogging:
Cricket McRae - Thursday, July 1
Mary Wine - Friday, July 2
Eileen Dreyer - Saturday, July 3
Amanda Scott - Monday, July 5
Claire Cook - Wednesday, July 7
Jackie Lee Miles - Friday, July 9

Thanks to all for dropping by. I hope I’ve peaked your interest in reading something new. Have a wonderful Wednesday and remember, a smile is contagious. 


16 comments:

  1. I like the way you opened your post. Coffee and brownie for lunch-nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how long the abridged version is versus the unabridged?

    I tried audio once but got quickly distracted.

    Have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the award. It's well deserved. I love coming to your blog.

    And thanks for the review. I do love the Women's Murder Club and am glad for the alert that there's a new one out there.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the award!

    I, too, love being near water, but don't like going in. I haven't met too many people that feel that way. And your Friday lunch sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esme, I can't seem to help myself on Friday. I keep going back to the same thing each week. LOL

    Dru, I don't know how long the unabridged version is but the abridged is 5 disc.

    Lou, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy stopping by.

    Ingrid, thanks for your kind words as well. I think I'm hooked on my Friday menu. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your Award. Coffee and brownie works for me too! I also like being near the water, and enjoy taking water walks when we're at the beach. Lots of fun, especially when the stripers swim along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mason - Congratulations on your award! It's very, very well-deserved. Your blog is always full of interesting reviews, fun ideas, thoughtful posts and so many fine guest bloggers. And I agree - Kathleen's blog, From Cop to Mom and the Words in Between, is a fantastic blog. Folks, it's well worth a follow.

    Thanks, too, for sharing these things about yourself; I didn't know you played a Native American flute - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your award! (I'm always cold, too.)

    I listened to the abridged audio of The 9th Judgment too and when I read the book's description, I felt like I'd missed something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the award.

    Looks like you have a great line-up of visiting authors. I'm looking forward to meeting them.

    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your award - and thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the award and thank for sharing those things about yourself!

    A natural blonde - I wish I could say the same! I do love coffee though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the award, Mason! And it's nice to know these details about you.
    Hearth Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a blonde too - and some days it shows!

    I enjoy the Women's Murder Club series, this one sounds fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your award, Mason! And thanks for sharing a little about yourself--it's always fun to learn more about my favorite bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the award and great post. You have a good line up in the next little while.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fun way to do research for a book! I've made yogurt "cheese" before, but that's about it. I can't wait to read Something Borrowed, Something Bleu!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.